The Zenith Aircraft STOL Competition is a crowd favorite at the Open Hangar Days! The exciting event is sponsored by Kitplanes Magazine and is sure to please the crowd again this year for the 25th Annual Open Hangar Days at Zenith Aircraft Company in Mexico, Missouri on Saturday, September 24, 2016 starting at 1:00 pm. Plan to join us this year for two full days of fun!
The registration booth will be located in the Zenith Aircraft hangar outside of the office area. There will be registration forms for each of the activities (STOL Competition, Flour Bombing Contest, Cleco & Riveting Contest, and the Zenith Aircraft Show - like a car show but with airplanes) taking place throughout the 2016 Open Hangar Days event. Registration begins at the event for the STOL Competition on Friday morning (8:00 am) and will end Saturday (11:00 am).
Pre-registration is encouraged, if you would like to register before the event, please email Rebecca Riley at Rebecca@zenithair.com and a registration form will be sent to you to fill out and return prior to the event.
The rules for the 2016 STOL Competition are:
- STOL Competition (ZENITH AIRCRAFT PARTICIPATION ONLY)
- Runway 18 will be used during competition (dependent upon weather conditions).
- Each aircraft will be issued a registration number when they sign up.
- One aircraft will compete at a time and will be allowed two take-offs and landings.
- Score will be based on the best take-off and landing cycle (i.e. 1st take-off & landing or 2nd take-off and landing).
- All aircraft must have 2 way radio communication.
- All pilots and crew must attend a safety briefing to participate. A safety briefing will be held at the airport terminal for the STOL competition at 12:30 pm.
- Sequence will be announced at the safety briefing.
- Pilots are responsible for staying in sequence.
- Take-off Rules:
- Taxi into position as directed by the line judge, with main gear stopped on the reference line.
- begin take-off roll after being given the "thumbs-up" by the line judge.
- Take-off distance will be measured to where the furthest of any wheel leaves the ground for the last time.
- Landing Rules:
- Main gear tire must land on or beyond the reference line.
- Main gear tires touchdown prior to reference line is disqualifying.
- Tailwheel tire touchdown prior to reference line is NOT disqualifying.
- Aircraft must come to a full stop, straight ahead, and remain until judges have had a chance to measure and clear pilot from the runway.
- Landing distance will be measured from the reference line to the main gear tires once stopped.
- Return to staging area for second attempt.
- Park after second attempt.
- Awards will be presented to winners during BBQ dinner at the factory on Saturday evening.
We encourage all who are flying their Zenith aircraft to the event to participate in this fun activity! Check out past photos of the Open Hangar event. We looking forward to seeing everyone at the event on Friday, September 23 & Saturday, September 24, 2016.
For more information about the STOL Competition and other activities at the 25th Annual Open Hangar Days, contact us at 573.581.9000. Purchase your tickets here now!