I'm considering having my seats built-up locally from the seat pan and back that Zenith supplies in the 750 kit. Hi-Tech Foams quoted me $243 for foam for two seat bottoms and two seat backs. There would be 3 progressive layers of Comfor-foam in the seat bottom and two layers in the seat back. This just would be the basic foam - no shaping, etc. I'm going to talk to a local upholsterer to get an estimate for shaping and bolstering it, and for sewing seat covers.

One seat construction detail has become apparent - what do you do with the seat back for support? At present, there are just two horizontal members - a tube and a flat strip. Does the seat back need a shell of ? aluminum  sheet? or something else to more evently support the foam? Or, do upholsterers use some sort of sling or webbing?

Just thought if any of you had your seats custom built, you might be able to shed a little light on basic construction/support.

Thanks,

John

Views: 1438

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is how the seats in my CH750 were made. It may seem over-kill to use 3 layers of memory type high density foam, but it really pays to have a good quality seat when your flying long distance. Some builders comment they only fly a couple hours then need to get out and walk around. I flew my CH750 4 hrs, stopped to re-fuel and then flew another 3 hrs in a single day. Don't go leather material, its hot in the summer and a cold brick in the winter. You want material that breathes and is long wearing. My 2 cents. 

Bob- What about the seat back support? Is some sort of aluminum or plywood sheet behind the foam?

Thanks,

John

I riveted a sheet .032 6061 to the back seat frame.

In my 640 the seats are supported by sheet aluminum that is riveted to a frame. When I was ready for upholstery I went to a local salvage yard and found some seats in a small sports car that were really comfortable. I purchased both front seats for only $25.00. I took the seats apart at home and found the seat back and bottom were blow molded foam rubber with the bolsters already shaped. I then used the origional covers as pattern for the new covers and fitted all this to the seat pans that were supplied with the kit. I have flown the airplane over 7 hours in one day with no fatigue and every one who sit in the airplane comments on how comfortable the seats are.

What make/model car did the seats come from?

Thanks,

John

Hi John, On my seat backs I added a bar just up from the swivel point ( where it bolts to the pan ) and the support was done with webbing. It is very comfortable and seems to be wearing well. I also narrowed the seat frames one inch so it doesn't hit the door post when upolstered.My seat is as far back as I could go with it.I also changed the seat stops and made them ground adjustable, pictures on my builders page, Jim

To make a seat back I first tried a method I read about on the EAA web site about using 2 layers of foam core epoxied together and covered with fiberglass.  This did not work.  The first time I sat in my plane with these the seat back broke right in the middle.  THen I used a 1/8" piece of Luan plywood.  This worked great, and is very light weight.  I also purchased the confor foam from Hi-Tech Foams.  Here's a link to my web page.

http://daniel.dempseyfamily.us/zodiac/interior/index.html

John,

I think I also used 1/8 Luan plywood. Purchased the foam from Hi-Tech and had a friend who knows how to upholster volunteer to cover the seats. Clamping the foam so the glue can dry can be tricky but we finally figured that one out.

Here is a link to the kit log site

http://mykitlog.com/users/display_log.php?user=rlendon&project=...

Thanks for all the info! I'm not sure if the plywood is applicable in the 750 as it is a tubular steel frame seatback - I don't know anything about the Zodiacs, but looks like an entirely different seat structure. Perhaps riveted aluminum would be the way to go for the 750 - an upholsterer might want to web it instead - I've yet to talk to him.

By the way, Ron, looked at your pics and now I see what lugging that kitty litter home is really good for! LOL!

I went junkyard cruising yesterday, hoping to find a pair of small seats that could be donor foam for my seats, but quickly found that no matter what the size of the car, most seats are at a minimum 20+" wide (to fit big American butts I guess!). Looks like in the 750 you have about 17+" width between tunnel and door at the extreme forward end of the seat. However, I didn't find any really tight little sports cars like a Miata or one of the BMW Z's - they might be smaller. I guess you could carve down the donor foam, but probably the most practical is to just build one up with the Comfor Foam as everyone else seems to be doing! At least you're starting with brand new foam and don't have to worry about premature break-down of the foam - I suspect a lot of the junkers' seats have rotten foam internally. Most car seats also have steel springs in the bottom - once those come out, you'd have to put back at least one sheet of Comfor Foam for adequate thickness and comfort.

Regards,

John

John, I bought foam from Rochford Supply. Started with their Sample Foam Package and then ordered 4 sheets of foam, 2'x6' in 1" and 2" thickness. It's enough foam for 2 sets of seats. I made the bottoms using different 2" foam, my wife likes a firmer seat, both are covered by 1" foam. The backs are 2" foam. I made some seat covers using denim fabric, nothing fancy, but comfortable.

I do have an Oregon Aero seat cushion (memory foam) and use that to raise my butt, need to add a wedge in the seat pan for a permanent solution. On a recent cross country I flew without the memory foam and the seats were comfortable. If you want to add a layer of memory foam, head to Walmart and buy a memory foam topper for a twin bed, it's at a good price.

http://www.rochfordsupply.com/shop/Foam/index.html

Which of their foams did you buy? Since what you did worked, it might be worth just duplicating it, rather than playing around. I don't know a lot about foam, so my chance of stumbling on to something that works on my own are rather small.

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service