Online Community of Zenith Builders and Flyers
Just completed test flights after top overhaul. High flow valve lifters with improved upper oiling system was a easy but expensive change to our a/c. New piston were added as well.
Reinstalling connecting rods went very smooth and neat. Cylinders were reused and new through bolts were installed, too. Cylinders and pistons mounted together like clock work. Heads went on slower but w/o any issues.
Ground Breakin Runs went well and the hood over engine was a great assist. We followed the Jabiru written directions and the engine started at a touch of the key.
Flight testing was a lot of fun. The A/C managed to run up @ 2750 rpm. We set idle higher than normal (1000 rpm). Climb out was 1000 fpm @ 85 mph. High CHT temps was 330 in climb and in cruise below 300. At 2750 rpm the cruise speed was circa 125 mph. Oil temps in cruise are around 185 and the oil pressure indicator was 37. At 2650 rpm the EGTs come up to 1320. We will continue to check fuel burn and watch for oil burn, if any.
The top overhaul costs will come in at about 3K. I found the Bing carby to be less than ideal. Not being able to control mixture in all weather conditons and climates was a fault of the Bing system. 680 hours to TOH was disappointing. I bought a Rotec TBI and plan to install it next month.
I wish to thank Michael, David and Robert Ertz for their assistance. David was lead on the project.