Q&A - Zodiac 601XL -650 for the latest upgrade drawings of November 24 2009

This Q&A is for the upgrade kit of the Zodiac 601XL & 650 based on drawings of Nov. 24, 2009 and AMD Safety Alert of November 7. 2009
http://www.newplane.com/amd_downloads/SAFETY%20ALERT%20November%207...

New drawings:
Nov. 24, 2009: We've updated the draft Drawings 6-ZU-1, 6-ZU-2, 6-ZU-3 and 6-ZU-4, and LAA Aileron Balance.

For very detailed questions (or if you must complain or vent), email me at newplane@gmail.com

Please post all your questions on the last page.

Views: 6320

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Will the .040 web, with the upgrade parts added, be as good as the new .063 web.
I have the center parts built using the .040 web, but if I start over and use a .063 web will that take place of all the upgrades required to the center spar??
Tks Ron
Ron,
Yes, if you change your 0.032 center spar webs to 0.063, you do not need any of the 0.063 upgrade parts in the center spar. Some scratch builders may prefer this.
Remember that converting the existing 0.032 web to 0.063 is a significant amount of work as lining things up with the outer spar bolt holes could be very hard.
How does a new center spar work with "old" wings? Back when I received my QBK the wings and the center spar were a matched set with matched serial numbers. I understand that in later kits wings and center spars were interchangeable.

My QBK is one of the one where the outermost holes in the center spar are oversized due to drilling through the fuse uprights in Bogata.

-- Craig
Craig,
Your spars will be 100% fine by following the upgrade drawings. Your outermost holes in the center spar are fine as well, however, you will need longer bolts of the same diameter.
What will be required as for as paperwork and inspections for EAB planes that are already flying?
Mike,
I recommend that you attach the new upgrade drawings to your existing airframe drawings and that you attach all the inspection sheets etc. as listed on the AMD Safety Alert to your building project documentation. As an Experimental Amateur Built (EAB), I do not think that the FAA will be inspecting your aircraft. You are the manufacturer and you decide if your aircraft is airworthy or not. However, for insurance purposes or for resale etc. you may want to have evidence that you have completed the upgrade. You also want to make a statement in your aircraft airframe log book that you have completed the upgrade and you want to add a section to your POH about the preflight inspections etc.
Also, for those who will need an inspection for C of A issuance, you may have to show that you did the upgrade.
Just a suggestion. It might be good to come up with a new designation. Like 601 XL Ultra or something. A sticker with this designation may be a clear indication to the casual observer. Once we have our Super Zodies complete it might be helpful in dispelling some of the inveitable bad press and impressions.

Cheers
Matt,
Yes, we have been thinking at that type of idea. 601 XL Ultra is not bad. Maybe others have some good ideas on an extended name that will give the aircraft new credibility.
How about XL GS, the GS is for Global Spec. It sounds like the whole world was involved in these changes and we should give the world credit.

Just a thought,
I like this idea. It is a good way of indicating the upgrades were implemented. Here are some of my suggestions: 601 XLS, 601 XLT, and 601 XLU.

The 601 XL Ultra and GS are great suggestions.
I like adding a letter designation similar to the Cherokee B, C, & D models. Also, Ercoupe has its C, D, CD, & E models. If you use "Ultra", what happens when another round of upgrades come up? For me, I am building an CH 650. Renaming to CH 650B works, and we will all know what the "B" model has in it. And it easier to tell inpectors and insurance agents that you have the "B" model ... less confusion.
This is an excellent idea! How about 601 XLU ? U for utlility? It most certainly is a "beefed up" wing.
Ultra has a good ring to it.

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service