Propellers and the Viking 130 / 180 - post your performance and pitch settings / propeller type

Some innovative propellers and the performance they provide:

Pretend "Constant Speed"

The innovative instant adjustable propeller

Carbon Fiber Forged Propeller Hub

Learn about forged carbon fiber process

How about in-flight adjustable?

Setting that Propeller pitch on a ground adjustable prop

Balancing the beast

PATRICK IS REPORTING A MAX SPEED OF 152 MPH USING A 3 BLADE WHIRLWIND SET AT 21 DEGREES ON HIS CH-601XL.   HE IS ANTICIPATING CRUISING AT A LOWER SPEED BUT THE TESTING IS VERY USEFUL  AND PROVIDE BASELINES TO COMPARE PERFORMANCE DATA.

Views: 2963

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This Viking / DUC STOL propeller is designed for serious STOL performance.  The combination Viking 130 or Viking 180 Turbo with the 5 bladed carbon fiber blade AND hub propeller provide the ultimate in performance, thrust, looks, light weight and price.  

Take a look at the design HERE

The propeller will be on the 2018 Viking 180 Super Duty STOL aircraft flyinhg the Valdez competition in May 2018

Here's some initial data from my testing, which is as yet incomplete.  Weather has kept me on the ground for a few days, so I thought I'd just go ahead and share what I've got.  Airframe is a 601XL with 650 canopy, with no aero improvements other than Step Fairings which have been on there for a couple of years already.

Pitch             MPH at 4800             MPH at 5100            MPH at 5400                MPH at WOT           WOT RPM
19                              x                                111                            x                                   126                      6000
20                              x                                118                            x                                   144                      6000
21                            115                              122                         133                                  152                     6000
22                            122                              133                         144                      Untested (>Vne?)       Untested
23                            135                              138                     Untested                        Untested              Untested

I've got more testing to do at 23 degrees pitch, as the air wasn't as smooth as I'd have liked and so the data at that pitch isn't very good.

All speeds are "Indicated".  Altitudes are around 2-3000 feet.  Temperatures are around 50 degrees.  Data is as written on my kneeboard, and so is "in the ballpark".  Somebody with the ability to programatically log airspeed data would be able to get much better data.  Still dialing in the Pitch of the prop.  When I settle that, then I'll start doing some tuft testing and aero mods based upon that.

- Pat

What propeller are you testing?

3 bladed Whirlwind, 68 inch blades, in front of a Viking 130.

For those of us who are still in the building stage, this kind of information is very helpful, thank you for posting this.

It would be interesting to me what RPM you get, on the ground.   I.E. at what pitch, does it begin to limit RPM.   Hope that makes sense....

Charlie 

Patrick,

I have been looking your numbers.   I am curious if you plan to try higher pitch settings?  Also, can you comment or provide numbers on how the climb rate was reduced at the higher pitch settings?    Thanks again. 

Charlie

I'm at 23 degrees pitch right now, and am thinking about establishing that as my new "baseline", and then making aero improvements followed by re-testing.  As my airplane stands right now, being "dirty" (no wheel pants or fairings, etc) the "sweet spot" looks like it would be around 22.5 degrees pitch. 

No hard data on takeoff run or climb rate, right now.  Less pitch equates to better takeoff/climb, and any pitch less than 22 degrees can redline the engine.  Part of what I want to do is run at WOT at lower RPM's, and log engine data (I have a data logger) after having made aero changes.  For example, if WOT yields 5,000rpm and I make a change, after which the new WOT rpm is 5,100, then I'd say "good".  Looking further down that path, it's possible that I would also make further changes to pitch.

Rain has kept me on the ground all week, and I'll be out of the country for most of the next couple weeks, after which I'll be back at it.  My intent here (besides just having fun doing this) is to get the highest speed with the lowest rpm. 

- Pat

Patrick,

Very helpful information.  One thing I have read, (if I read your post correctly) is that it is a good place to start (on a new engine and prop combo) is to set the pitch at the point where it keeps the engine at or slightly below red line, and then adjust accordingly as beneficial.

Here's the most recent test numbers. Speeds are MPH indicated. Altitude was ~3,000 feet. Prop pitch is still at 23 degrees. NACA vents were taped closed and the new cabin vents were open during this run. Higher prop pitch brings the WOT rpm's down, while aero improvements bring the RPM's back up. May go to 23.5 degrees pitch at some point.

Pitch MPH at 4800 MPH at 5100 MPH at 5400 MPH at WOT WOT RPM
23 126 137 148 152 5641
Sorry for the poor formatting of my last post. Haven't been able to edit my own messages for a while - guessing some kind of update to the forum software happened....?

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service