I enjoyed completing the CH801 Rudder in 3 days at the workshop. Everything fit, and I got the 10mm standard edge distance for rivets. I've since built the CH801 elevator and stabilizer, at least to the point of being able to close them up. I'll be able to close them after the Canadian inspector gives approval.
There were a few mistakes I made out of impatience and/or not reading ahead enough. I have 2mm twist over the length of my 10' elevator - 1/4 of the amount of twist that is allowable. Less accurate than I'd hoped for, but within the 8mm allowed. How much twist did others find on completion?

I've been frustrated meeting minimum edge distances when building the elevator, stabilizer and in fitting the "L" angles to the wing slat brackets on one of the wings. In one instance for the elevator, another instance for the stabilizer I've had to drill a second rivet line to just be able to meet spar edge distance minimums of 6mm (measured from centre of holes to edge). Given where the pilot holes were drilled into the slat brackets (distance from flange, and from each other) I had to make a paper template for each nose rib/ bracket so I could meet the 6mm minimum edge distance for the "L" 's.

The "A" through "G" nose rib/slat brackets were matched. The "A" through "G" rear ribs/flaperon brackets were matched. However, I did not find the "A" through "G" pairs matched nose to rear ribs/brackets. To ensure all nose and rear rib flanges face the wing tips, two sets had to be mismatched. Is this a problem?

Are others finding they can only just make, meeting minimum edge distance. My "L" angles, for instance are 19mm wide - maybe 18 point something.

Views: 75

Reply to This

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service