Mr Formby could sing it, but can we do it?

Cleaning the windows on our little craft is a skill - and we all have our tricks - but what is yours?

We use Pledge (the one without a solvent), preferably with a lavender scent.  It really works well - but make sure it is without the solvent (it will NOT have a flamable sign).  It provides water beading on the outside, dust repellent on the inside, smells nice and is easy to administer (spray onto the rag and wipe).

However we have a recurring nightmare - the sticky on the bubble doors STILL seems to be there.  I flew through a smoke cloud and all the little sticky bits made a black mosaic on the doors!  

What do you use - and have you solved the bubble door sticky problem?!

Views: 227

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Water, lots of it. Clean, drinkable water. Scrubbed with a clean wet human hand. Wet human skin will not damage plexiglass, even a fairly soft rag can scratch it. Slop on some water and then work the wetness around with your hand. Apply more water, repeat. Never work dirt around the surface, slosh it away with more water. If there are dried bugs, soak them for a while. End with a flush of water and let it sheet off. If you feel the need, wipe it dry with a very clean very soft cotton cloth, but just letting it air-dry will leave you with a water spot or two, but no real dirt.

For the inside, I use water on a wet, but not dripping soft clean cotton cloth. Usually, the inside is only slightly dirty and is easier to clean.

Caveat -- I have not done this to Zentith 701 windows or to bubble windows of any type, only standard aircraft windows.

By the way, if you have something that needs to be dissolved off (tree sap or paint residue or something) the only solvent that I am aware of (other than water) that does not attack plexiglass in some manner is Naptha. You can use that with a clean soft cotton cloth to get rid of sticky stuff and then use water and your hand to clean away any residue.

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service