We finally decided on an engine: We ordered an AeroMomentum AM15!

The engine is offered as a standard version with 117 hp @ 5800 rpm or 132 hp @ 6500 rpm, very similar to the Viking 130, which we were also considering. AeroMomentum however advertises only the 117 hp @ 5800, as this is the rpm at which Rotax engines make max. power and because they believe that pilots do not want to have their engines screaming at 6500 rpm.

AeroMomentum also offers a beefed up version, which makes, as indicated on their website, 131 hp @ 5800 rpm and 147 hp @ 6500. 

We decided to go with the standard, low profile, 117 / 132 hp version, as we didn't feel like spending another $3,500 for the additional 14 horses the beefed up version would provide. Another reason was, that the more powerful version contains custom made pistons and some other modifications. If we ever need spare parts, they will probably be easier to obtain for the stock version.

All engines are delivered with a dynamometer print out with the individual engine's torque and power curve. Pretty impressive and I believe unique in the industry!

I also like that AeroMomentum uses only brand new Suzuki engines, which have a very good track record in automotive applications and which are very popular, particularly in Asia and Europe.

Mark, the owner, said that he has been selling these engines for over 10 years to jet- and airboat customers. Most of them permanently run their engines full throttle.
The highest time engine accumulated over 4,000 hours without any issues, in a permanent full-throttle fishing net towing application. When the engine needed replacing, mainly due to poor maintenance, they even continued to use the original transmission. Very impressive, particularly considering that he is promoting his engines with a TBO of only 1,500 hrs.

I also like that the AM15 engine is only a little bit heavier than a 100 hp Rotax 912iS, but almost 40 pounds (!!) lighter than the Viking 130. AeroMomentum also advices against the installation of a header tank, what will save same additional weight, compared to the Viking, and also make the installation less complex.

Ultimately, the main reasons to choose AeroMomentum were the relatively low weight, good power, that they have been selling their engines for over 10 years to airboat customers, the attractive price and the very good impression I had of Mark, the owner. He always responded fast and detailed to my e-mails and was very patient and friendly on the phone. When I met him and Lilli, the lady who is handling the sales, at Airventure, my good impression was confirmed: Super friendly, humble and (we felt) honest.

They are still working on the firewall forward kit, we agreed to be Beta customers. We expect to receive the firewall forward kit, minus the cowling, in September. The engine is supposed to be delivered in October, the cowling towards the end of the year.

Very exciting!

HomebuiltHelp has a nice interview with Mark on his YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/xWOj5_0DoQI

Their website: http://aeromomentum.com/ 

Oliver

Views: 24673

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello Bryan, I appreciate your encouragement and will certainly keep you posted.

Quite a few people actually contacted me, as they are also interested in AeroMomentum engines.

I am sorry that the thread, in which I wanted to simply share my experience with AeroMomentum, has become quite a mess - Jan from Viking was filling it with his very 'unique' Viking marketing posts. Yesterday, I finally had enough and made John aware of this thread, what I suspect triggered his decision to remove Jan's unrelated posts.

As this thread has become hard to read, I will start a new one, once we have taken delivery of our engine and the fwf components.

I hope that this will therefore be my last post in this thread: I spoke today with Mark from AeroMomentum. After some delays, everything will be shipped on Monday, 3/19!

He was very apologetic for the delays, which were partially caused by suppliers, but also because business is going overwhelmingly well for them, what I consider a good thing. He said that in addition to their still growing airboat engine business, the sales of their aircraft variants is also rapidly picking up.

He is currently in the process of hiring two new employees and is planning to add more, once these are trained, in order to keep up with the demand.

I offered some of the people, who contacted me, that I'd be willing to show them my engine. I live in Novi, MI, close to Detroit. If you want to check out our build just send me a personal message through the forum.

Mark just mentioned the my AM13 engine is on the testing stand and will be delivered soon, can’t wait to have this piece of engineering art powering my CH 701

I decided to install an Aeromomentum engine because of its elegant simplicity which matches the CH 701 design philosophy, as Burt Rutan advice: “ keep your building as simple as you can”

My wife and I visited Aeromomentum last week during our vacation: I'm wondering if your engine might be on this picture I took!?

The team was super busy, mainly driven by airboat orders. Mark said they are currently cranking out two engines per week and that he will soon be adding another 5,000 sq ft of shop space.

We also saw our engine running on the dyno - super exciting!

Here is the actual dyno print of our engine. Even though it's not broken in yet, it already makes 116.3 hp @ only 5,450 rpm, what is better than advertised (5,800 rpm):

A friend of ours also bought an AM15, he started it for the first time last weekend. It fired right up and ran super smooth. I certainly wasn't the only guy in the hangar who was impressed! I made a short video of it:

Like for you, its simplicity was a big factor for us. The other was, that Aeromomentum has been making them for many years.

Oliver

Thanks for sharing your expierience on the Aeromomentum engine. I am thinking of putting the 130 HP engine in a Zenith 750 CruZer that I am about to order. Would you please keep me informed on how your firewall forward kit goes together.. Thanks Gord. Rose.   GRose@GVRose.com

Hi Gordon,

I'll try to remember to keep you posted, but don't want to make any promises. I would therefore recommend to also check the forum regularly.

Btw.: I spoke today with Mark, the owner. They are currently cranking out 2 engines per week, mainly to airboat customers. Some of them accumulate around 1,000 hours per year. He however told me, that he just got off the phone with a guy who ran his for 600 hours in only 5 month in a high load fishing operation. I think that his airboat customers are an unique test bed for his engines!

Oliver

Hi Oliver,

I too will be ordering the Aeromomentum engine,  I am inclined to get the 131 HP for my 750 Cruzer

I have been watching this company (Aeromomentum) for some time and finally was able to meet them at Sun n Fun.

Today I called them and ask many more questions and they answered all without getting irritated.

I am still working on my wings, then will be the fuselage and by then I will order the engine.

I hope the price doesn’t go up by the time I order the engine. As demand increases, price will follow.

I’ll keep watching this forum to see your progress with the engine.

I believe you made a good decision getting this engine.

Just a quick heads up.

Minus the cowling, we have now received all major firewall forward components. 

Here is a teaser with the engine, I hope I'll find some time this weekend, to go over all parts in a more detail.  

The engine is a thing of beauty! Can't wait to hear it running!!

Very pretty!

Thank you. I hope it will run as nice as it looks.

Sadly, we are still at least a couple months away from running it the first time, as we are with the fuselage not yet where we wanted to be by this time. The AeroMomentum engine mount for the Zenith is also just a prototype, which will have to be replaced, what probably won't happen before June.

I like the attention to detail - are the blue metal components anodized or powder coated?  Either way, looks great!

John

N750A

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service