Hi, All;

For those of us with an O-200, what voltage regulator did you select?  I've basically found two that might work: B&C and PlanePower. Are there others available for the same general price (180-195)?

I'm using the original alternator, not a lightweight.  Since I have put it away for safe keeping, I can't recall if it's an Autolite or Delco, but you get the idea.

thanks!

Views: 454

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Carl, my alternator on my O-200 is a Motorcraft.  You may have heard of The AeroElectric Connection by Bob knockulls. Its a book that has a lot of info. On page 52, he discusses using inexpensive automotive regulators. I used one on my O-200 but haven't started it yet but its very soon. 

Thanks, Steven;

Sounds like we have the same alternator. Motorcraft/Electrosystems.

I have a copy of the AeroElectric Connection somewhere....now the challenge is to find it!

Glad you're making good progress with your engine.  Going to Oshkosh? I've been working on my shopping list....

Found my copy!

just curious......did you use the year/vehicle he cited in the book?

No Oshkosh this go around but I will fly my 750 there hopefully next time. I ordered one from Amazon, Tru-Tech VR166T for about $15. I have bare minimum steam gauges and no glass. The aviation regulators I believe, have over voltage protection and are pretty pricey. They look identical on the outside to me tho. Builders with expensive glass would probably want the aviation brand but I think the cheaper one will be all I need. 

Hi Carl, I've got the B & C 10 amp model on my 0200, saves a bunch of weight for sure. But the guy that installed it didn't hook it up right so it toasted the VR. Waiting for a new one to arrive, I'll put it in. I like the 10 lbs. lighter idea even if it is only 10 amps.

Hey, wondering if you ever resolved the regulator issue? We have an O-200 with the alternator DOFFxxxxx it puts out 16 volts and using Ford regulator VR4xx (I don’t have the exact p/n with me). We’re using a GRT EFIS and EIS and it’s showing a constant 15+ volts. We’ve increased the warning to 15.4 and it is still a problem.

Maybe I don’t understand but it seems the regulator should take the output of the alternator and “regulate” to the proper value. In this case something around 13.5 volts.

any comments are appreciated 

Dennis M

Hi, Dennis;

Well, *techinically* I solved it - went with a Hartzell EX14-50 lightweight alternator.  Although I've started the engine, I never flipped the alt field switch (duh) so unk about what it was putting out.

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service