Has anyone else had an issue with the plastic circumferential liner around the spring riding up out of the nose gear landing tube until stopped at the billet cap?  Outside observors have noted what sounds like "metal on metal" banging when i am taxing on rough turf.  No other idea what it may be but did discover the liner about 2 - 3 inches protruding out.  Maybe too much slop in my spring adjustment?  All thoughts and ideas most welcome...

Dave

Views: 445

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If your loading and unloading the spring while on the ground, I could see a bit of a bang when it hits the hard points.  I don't thing it would be the spring rubbing on the tube if everything was installed properly.

It is not a big deal if it rides up, it is still doing its job, make sure to grease the nose wheel strut where it rides on the nylon blocks and then make sure not to powder coat the areas that slide on the nylon blocks of the nose wheel. Use silicone spray on the spring to keep it quiet. 

Thanks, appreciate the replies.  May readjust my preload a bit   Dave

I think the metal to metal banging you are hearing might be the steering mounts banging on the lower bearing block.  Every time you go over a bump the return of the spring slams the steering mounts down against the bearing as it returns to normal.  Seems like it is inherent in the design.

Tim

Thanks Tim, will play around in the hangar with it and try to see what is going on.

HI David,  This doesn't exactly pertain to your situation but have you noticed whether the center threaded rod on the spring contacts the top cowl piece when the spring is compressed. Or do I not have enough tension on the spring to prevent this from happening? I'm wondering if I should cut it shorter.  Thanks, Tom

Tom, mine does not contact the inside top cowling.  When I initially installed I did a lot of test bounces without the cowling to check clearance in that regard.  There is no evidence to date of it contacting the inside top cowl. But, maybe there has been design change since I purchased and installed mine.  I would certainly do some "checking" and evaluation before cowling up and assuming you have clearance.  If you do cut, leave enough thread to allow the spring to fully unload for the install or uninstall and to get the nut threaded.  HTH!  Dave 

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service