I have a question for those of you using, or planning to use the Corvair Engine.

After the recent failure of Mark Langford's engine, are you still planning on

using a Corvair?

I bought WW's book, DVD's, etc and had planned on going to a workshop

last year - unfortunately, I was not able to attend.  As with many of you,

circumstances got in the way of my building plans. 

I may now be in the position to again consider building (can't decide between the

650 and 750) but now am faced again with the "engine" decision.

My only beef with the Corvair was the age of the crankshaft, and this was before Langford's

third failure.  Dan Weseman is apparently considering have a new crankshaft made from 4340 stock and the price appears to be reasonable.

Given all of this - I'd like to hear what those of you who are actually using, or plan to use this engine are doing.

Thanks

Rodney

Views: 14879

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have 850 hours on my Rotax engine with no problems, that said auto conversions are great, I looked at the Subaru and the Convair. Resale value definitely takes a hit with an auto conversion aircraft, and that was a factor in my engine decision. Being able to take your engine apart yourself is a huge plus with the Convair or Subaru.

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service