just saw an ad from A/C Spruce regarding Surefly Electronic Ignition. Replace one mag for about 1400$. Option allows for use of an advance curve with Manifold pressure reference. Anyone try on their or others O-200? Seems great for fuel injection but carb?  I had WW type electronic Ignition on my plane when flown with Corvair engine,  and it sure did enhance start-up

just starting some discussion

Views: 1110

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

yesterday in the hot texas air, I tried lean of peak operation, ran good... within limits plus smooth running. I was 2400 MSL with DA approaching 4000. never could run lean of peak with 2 regular mags

since installing surefly I have bought the elctroair gapped tempest fine wire plugs (.063) of course that required changing the harness to a 3/4 large barrel connector. Sadly, it was cheaper to buy a O-240 harness than to buy the tool (modified vise grip) to adapt old harness!

The Electronic ignition has dropped EGT's but slightly increased both oil and CHT temps. This has got me to finally improve the baffling at the front #3 cylinder. Very happy so far, faster starts, slightly smoother and a couple of knots gained. Have not cruised at altitude so fuel burn data not available. I am happy I choose the O-200D and with the light alternator and surefly its the cats meow

I have 2.5 hours on my single P-Mag on my O-200

i still have one magneto, which I’ll change out to a second electronic ignition eventually.

I’m seeing similar results as yours. 
I may get a surefly instead of another a Pmag as the Surefly is about $400 less.

I like the Pmag because it has a built in alternator to power it once started.
so far so good.

Dave

Hi Chris

what was the problem with the ACS harness?

I’m using one with a slick mag for a few years no problem. 
if I switch to a Surefly  mag I wouldn’t want to buy a new harness.

Dave

This has turned out to be a great investment, I see improvement down low at 1000' agl in the hot summer. Density altitude makes the benefits of the advance useful for even us low altitude cruisers, some told me not to get one  unless flying at higher altitudes

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service