A 280 pound person wants to climb in my CH601XLB. Will that crush the wing ribs when he steps up on the wing?

Views: 361

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That depends upon how big his feet are.

lol

Sorry Forest I couldn't resist. Zenith could probably answer your question. Is there a load limit stated on the plans?

I cannot answer your question exactly.

I built  .025 skin doublers into the wing walk areas for this very reason, but......,,,,,

At times, discretion  is the better part of valor. In this case I tell anyone who asks for a ride,  that I deem weight compromised , that my 650 is weight limited and not safe for too large a pair of passengers.

I apologize, but people understand and do not want to fly in an unsafe situation.

Maybe politically incorrect in our society, but as pilot in command, hard decisions need to be made about flight safety.

Unless the person is an NFL lineman, I'd be worrying about him/her losing their balance. That could wreak all kinds of havoc. Honestly, no way I'd let someone that heavy climb on the wing of my plane. That much weight falling on the wing - or the canopy could be catastrophic. 

If you do you will probably need something to hold the tail up when they first step on the wing as well. 

It's the reality of small planes. Sometimes you have to tell heavy people they just can't go in your plane.

No doubt! Thank you. This guy just wants to see if he’ll fit. I weigh 220, so there’s no chance of a joy ride!
I appreciate all the replies!!

No problem!  I had both my brother-n-law (270) and my brother (300) in my plane(different rides).  They both loved it.

601XL with Jabiru 3300.

Randy

Thank you

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service