Okay, finally realized that I have a space / storage problem.  Knocked over my right aileron, big dent in the trailing edge, got plane parts scattered all over the house, can barely walk in the garage.  I'd like some advice on how to proceed.  Keeping in mind some things I've noticed:

1.  I have a townhouse w/ 3 bedrooms, 2 kids, a 2 car garage (half full of non-airplane stuff) and no basement or outside storage.  Car is outside on the driveway year round.

2.  Having the project in the garage allows me to make some progress every day.

3. I waste a lot of time rearranging things whenever I make a major change to the build.

4.  I'm running the risk of damaging already made parts.

5.  I don't have a truck (but could rent one from time to time).

Some options I'm considering:

Getting a storage unit to store my non-airplane stuff and some of the finished parts so that they won't get damaged.  The downside is cost and having to rent a truck to move stuff back and forth.  But the build will stay in the garage.

Doing the PODS thing - where I can store the non-airplane stuff without needing a truck - but I don't want to use that to store the airplane parts.

Start renting a hangar - can store parts there, will need to rent one eventually.  Don't know how secure they are, and if I move the build there I have a 15 minute drive every time I want to do something. More expensive - probably $150 a month minimum.

Try to find a workshop space to rent closer than the hangar.  Don't know time or cost.

Do the build at a builder assist area in stages a week or two at a time.  For example, I could spend a vacation week at American Light Sportcrafters and probably bang out most of a component kit.  There's no place close by, so there would be the need to take vacation and travel and ship the parts.  And I'd have to drag a kid or two along if they wanted to participate.

So, any advice?  Thanks!

Views: 689

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That is a fabulous rental rate for a hangar, any hangar! What region is that? Here in the northeast US most hangars start at double that and go up from there. I am very lucky to have my hangar attached to my house. I live in an airpark. Has been a lifelong dream to live in a fly-in situation and I finally made it. Only took me 60 years.

This airport is in a suburb of St. Paul, MN.  If I go a little further out to New Richmond, WI, can probably get cheaper.

I would love do the airpark deal, but I bought my townhouse in 2006 and will likely be underwater for the next 10 years at least.

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service