For you Continental 0-200 owners, I am interested in your thoughts on Magneto 500 Hour inspections.

My aircraft has over 500 hours on my Slick Mags. A 500 hour inspection at a reputable Magneto shop runs a minimum of $375.00 each,  if the coils test good. If a coil is shot add another $250.00

The 500 hour inspection includes new points, bearings and seals.

My mags are fine right now, and I am wondering if i should leave them as they are and try to get as many hours as I can out of them, and than get the overhauled/inspected when they start causing problems, or upgrade to a Pmag electronic replacement for at least one side. ($1700.00 per side) 

I would not want to trade in my 500 hours mags for a rebuilt mag that has 5000 hours on them if you know what I mean. Trade in Mags usually run about $800-$900.00 each.

So tell me what your thoughts and experiences are, I never had a Mag overhauled or even inspected in my 28 years of flying and owning aircraft.

Dave

N601XP

Views: 613

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for you input Chris,

I'm not sure I would have any specialized tools that may be required to do the service.

Have you ever done the job?

Dave

e- gap tool, many you tube videos, and sacramento sky ranch cd 

www.actechbooks.com/products/act427/

very helpful CD

yes I dunn it

Good to know; I thought these were non-servicable except by a shop like Kelly Aerospace. Slow-rolling my O-200, but I have one slick with 100 hrs on it, but the other has about 5-600; was going to send that in, but I may just do it myself. Thanks, Crhis;

The coils don’t usually fail but the points an distribution gear should be replaced. They’re usually very worn on slicks. I have even seen the carbon pickup cut a hole through the tab on the coil. I guess my point is you need to pop the caps an look at the 500 hr.  As far as internally timing a mag I can say slicks are the easiest to time, but I would advise you to time them with a experienced A&P your first go around. 

Dave

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service