Hi all, I have a question about the rotation of my mags. I have Slick 4301 mags, both are left turning. What does this mean exactly?  If I were to be sitting in the seat and looking at the back of the mags, do I attach the plug wires counterclockwise? Is that what the L means? 

Views: 276

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Left, rotation from the drive end. Plug wires cap goes on one way. Plug end of wire should have plug location stamped on the nut.

Hi Jay, my plug wires do not have cylinder numbers on them.

Hi Steven, I was reluctant to answer since I am no expert but here goes as I understand it from my engine (not running yet) and the engine overhaul manual. I have an O200-A. On the Slick mags they are labeled “LH” and “RH” for left and right mags when sitting in the seat. From studying the manual the rotor in both mags rotate clockwise, again looking from the seat. Firing order 1-3-2-4. The left mag supplies a spark to the lower plugs and the right mag supplies a spark to the upper plugs. Someone please correct if me if I am wrong.

LH and RH denote which direction the mag rotates,  it has nothing to do with which side of the engine it is on. Most Lycomings are LH mags. 

*****UPDATE*******

In case someone has the same question as I had and finds this post, my slick mags are LH rotation, I initially ran the plug wires clockwise as seen from the pilot seat, this was incorrect and quickly detected by the bad miss. 

I ran the wires counterclockwise and the engine ran splendid. LH means left hand rotation. 

Thanks all for the replies

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service