Hi guys, I have Rotax 912 ULS 100 HP in my CH 701. I was in the circuit when my instructor noticed very high pressure on Oil Pressure Gauge. It went way up to 150 psi range way pass red line. We reduced power and landed ASAP. The pressure later came down to 60 psi but upon run up would go high again and act erratic.

I am thinking:

Stuck high pressure relief valve

Bad sending unit 

Bad ground

Bad gauge

Am I missing anything?

Has anyone had this problem before and how you solved it?

About 25 hrs on this online since new but it did not fly much in last 4 yrs.

Thanks for any help

Andre

Views: 1716

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Had a similar problem to this a few years ago with erratic oil pressure indications, not as high as yours though. The solution was to change the small spherical ball bearing in the oil pressure relief valve to the new style mushroom shaped relief widget. The 912 forum on www.rotax-owner.com would be a good place to get more info about this issue.

I would suggest the simple things first. Since you mention a sender I presume you have an electric pressure gage of some type. To eliminate indication system errors I would suggest temporarily installing a simple mechanical oil pressure gage. You can buy a cheap one at an auto parts store as a test item. It should come with the gage, some type of mounting bracket, some flexible tube to run to the engine from the gage and a fitting to screw into the engine and attach the flex line to.

By installing a direct reading mechanical gage you eliminate all the other variables. It the gage reads the same high pressure you know it's real. If it reads normal pressure you know something is wrong in the fancy electrical stuff rather than in you engine's oil pumping system.

If putting a direct reading mechanical gage in as a permanent installation, do not use a cheapo gage but for a temporary trouble shooting installation a cheapo will do the job.

Hi Andre I have seen this problem on 3 912 motors here in Zimbabwe. All motors were checked with a cheap mechanical oil pressure gauge and all motors checked out perfectly.

Replaced the electric sender oil pressure unit (VDO) and all pressures returned to normal readings on the instrument panel gauges.

Thank you all for replies. I have ordered the VDO sensor and mechanical oil pressure gauge. I will check the oil pressure and if normal I will replace the VDO sensor. I will keep you posted. 

How do you apply proper torque to the VDO sensor. I have torque wrench that takes sockets. Do I need spanner type of torque wrench? Also the rotax-owner video about this is calling for Locktite 243. Difficult to find here. Can I use this?

Permatex® Surface Insensitive Threadlocker BLUE

Category: Threadlockers

OEM specified. Medium/high strength threadlocker for general-purpose applications. Especially well-suited for 1/4" to 3/4" (6mm to 20mm) fasteners that have a slight oil film. Prevents vibration loosening. Oil resistant. Removable with hand tools for easy disassembly.

https://www.permatex.com/products/thread-compounds/threadlockers/pe...

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service