I had a corvair install and used the PC 680, I am on my second battery.

I replaced corvair with O200 so now I only need reserve power for facet fuel pumps, without distributor energizing.

Have any corvair powered AC gone LIpo? Im thinking of EarthX etx900vnt mounting in aft location as in my corvair mount

Views: 938

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is a great discussion of things to think about on electrical system design!  Just as we (hopefully) build an aircraft to fulfill our typical "mission," one needs to design their electrical system's "mission" also!  For instance, in my case, I'm a "nice day" VFR flier, so that's why my dirt-simple, gravity-fed (no electric fuel pump), direct-drive, air cooled Jab 3300 with a single EarthX battery works for me.  It's a simple and very lightweight system.  All the battery is essential for is to start the engine as the Jab's magnetos are not battery-dependent - after starting, the engine will keep running as long as it has fuel, oil, and air! LOL!  Should the panel go dark due to electrical failure, it's no big deal since I'm always in daylight, good weather, and really don't need flight instrumentation to get home since the STOL 750 has such benign handling qualities!  Obviously, a totally different set-up is needed for other circumstances.

John

In our aircraft an issue with the charging system ( electric dependant engine...Corvair, or  low wing electric pump only O-200D ) a charging issue should be a no-go,  or if inflight an emergency requiring land as soon as practical. It would be a no dispatch in any aviation job I've had. 

The post was about Lipo vs more conventional batteries.  There has been some very good information posted here by folks on the benefits and downsides and differences of LiPo (and LifePo4) vs traditional batteries.   

Suggested Placard:

WARNING

This Aircraft is equipped with an electronic ignition and fuel system that requires continual electrical power. Do not operate aircraft with low battery voltage or an inoperative charging system.

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service