This Q&A is now closed and replaced with a new Q&A based on the latest upgrade drawings at http://zenithair.com/zodiac/xl/data/6-ZU-NOV24.pdf

To all 601XL and 650 builders and aircraft owners. If you have a specific question regarding the upgrade, post it here and I will consult with Chris Heintz so that we can give you the best possible answer. Please be specific about your questions.

When posting a question or replying to an existing comment, PLEASE add it to end of the last page.

Zenith Aircraft is upgrading its 601 XL, so a lot of questions are answered on the step-by-step Blog Posts on this main page.

Views: 6331

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Mathieu
Anothr question for you.
What glue is proposed for the centre spar mods and is it for structural purposses or is it to stop any rubbing or chafing of surfaces in that region?

Phill
We used PARTITE 7350. We are using the glue for gap filling as the primary reason. However, it is an excelling bonding agent and since we did the static load tests with this glue, we are strongly recommending it. It will be added to the upgrade drawings and kit.

APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS

• All surfaces must be clean, dry, dust and grease free. Best result will be achieved with surfaces that have been lightly abraded immediately prior to bonding.
• Proper mixing is required for the curing and adhesive strength development.
• Excess adhesive can be wiped away with organic solvent. Adhesive bond should be allowed to develop full strength before subjecting to any service loads.
Mathieu,
On many vehicles made in this country, the structors are bonded together with a special tape. I have also seen rotorblades bonded this way on their trailing edges. That said, instead of drilling out the solid rivets on tha main spar, could the angle be match drilled where the rivets are so the angle just fits flush with the spar and then bonded with this special bonding tape. It would eliminate the drilling out of all solid rivets.
Alan Uhr
Mathieu

As you are now aware the older 601's had -5 rivets in the spar and the newer 601's have -6 rivets so I am not sure that method will work but I will be removing the rivets in the other wing this weekend and will be sure and let you know exactly what size drill bit is the smallest that will allow you to use a rivet gun to "push" out the stem. Also the -6's can be bucked with a 3x gun but I am not sure the rivet is expanding in the hole enough. We tested both and the 4x does a much better job.

Keep up the great work
Jeff
If you reference the Advisory Circular AC43.13 you will find information on proper removal or the solid rivets. The biggest thing in drilling out the solid rivets is to drill in the center with the next size smaller drill bit. If you see chips coming out as you drill stop immediately cause you are not centered and only go deep enough to facilitate removal of the head with a twist of the drill bit to the side or stick a punch in the hole and tip it to the side. This advice comes from a few years of doing structural mods on large corporate jets that require much more attention to detail seeing there presurrized. Still must be very careful in this situation also.You can also more than likely find a Licensed Airframe Mechanic with experience to help you remove them. Its an easy process cause of the type of rivets Zenith uses and if i was personally in your area I would be glad to help you with the remove and install. Another option is to find an Vans Aircraft builder and ask them for help seeing they use the same type of rivet to build the entire aircraft.
Several people people are considering adding wing lockers while doing the wing upgrade. I would like to also, but am a little concerned about cutting a large hole in this area of the wing. There are already a couple of nose ribs missing in this area because of the fuel tank and now I'm adding a large hole in this same area. I noticed the zenith factory plane did not have them and I'm guessing the plane that was stress tested in Canada did not have them. Is there any reason to believe that adding a wing locker could reduce the stregth or torsional stiffness of the wing?

Thanks,
Mike
Good point. It is my suggestion at this time that you should not add the wing lockers. However, the new "L" extrusion that we are adding to the upper spar caps adds a huge amount of strengthening in that area. There is no objective evidence that there has been more accidents with or without wing lockers, same as hinged or hingeless ailerons. However, I am waiting for an answer from Chris Heintz on this.
Thanks, I would very much like to hear Chris's opinion on this. I had originally considered adding them out closer to the end of the wing (past the fuel tank) where there is less stress, but I realize that would have implications also if the plane was ever spun, but 95 percent of the time they would be empty anyway.
Chris has no objection to the wing lockers.
You raise an interesting point regarding the correlation between accidents and wing lockers and aileron hinge design (Piano or Flex). For the record, could you provide us the data to complete this table? I haven't seen this information anywhere. I've filled in the hinge where I'm pretty sure the airplanes were CZAW built.

Accident ..............Aileron Hinge(P/F) Locker (Y/N)
--------------- ............-------------------------- ------------------
Oakdale
Yuba City
Saint Fulgent
Polk City ......................P
Capao do Leao
Barcelona
Markermeer ..................P
Antelope Island
Agnos
Terry,
I cannot get into the details of the accidents as I am unclear as to when I can discuss this with the public based on the signed agreements I have with the NTSB.

It would be great if there was a pattern in the accidents such as all accident aircraft had hinged ailerons or wing lockers. But that is not the case. This is why the NTSB and the FAA have not pinpointed the accidents to anything specific other than the NTSB stating flutter.

So with all due respect to all, I do not want to discuss accident details. Let us focus on the upgrade, and making sure that all aircraft are tougher and less prone to vibrations etc.
Thanks you.
Mathieu
Can I substitute one .062"x3/4"x3/4"x144" 6061-T6 angle for the two 6-ZU-1-3 Top Rear Spar Angle's in each rear spar?
Also, can I use AN470AD-5 rivets?
Thanks
Terry
650 plans build

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service