Polishing Your Airplane? Tell Us of All Your Procedures, Tricks, Tips and Photos

A few Zenith builders have chosen to polish their aircraft rather than paint (including me). Many have posted some photos along with some tips. These are very valuable to those that trying to decide whether to polish or not and to those that have just began to polish their airplane. It is difficult to find all the posts that include these procedures. Let's make this discussion thread all things polishing. If you find this thread and have already posted something relevant to polishing an aircraft else where, please copy your comments and photos and post them in this thread. If everyone brings their experiences here, it will be more valuable to those that follow later on. Thanks.

Views: 11852

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here's what mine looked like after 2+ years without polishing.  I was suprised how well it held up.

Under the Dirt

Top Rear Skin

Tail

I used Nuvite F9, and then Nuvite C just on the areas I wanted to stand out.  Last time I polished it was when I lived in MN, and I've been living in TX for 2 years now...

- Pat

I have been using the Nuvite system with the final polishing done with a cyclo polisher. 

Last weekend was the first time I had to leave my plane out in the rain. It hated the thought because it had a beautiful shine on it and I imagined the rain would water-spot the heck out of it. It ended up raining for two days. 

When I got out to the airport to look at the plane I was shocked. There wasn't a spot on it! No water marks or streaks at all. It looked exactly the same as before the rain, though it probably had a light coating of dust.

This really surprised me because I have heard a number of comments about rain causing water spotting on polished planes.

I am using Zephyr Airway buffing wheels to "cut in" the rivet lines, longerons and any tight areas near an edge, then going back through with the Nuvite and a wool compounding pad for the open areas. 

The Zephyr Airway wheels polish on the edge of the wheel, and they polish the rivet areas better than the wool pads that get torn up by the rivets. On the Cruzer, the thin strip between the door and the rear window with two lines of rivets is a pretty tough piece to do with a wool pad and Nuvite. The Zephyr is also really good in tight corners or along an edge (like the window openings).

The Nuvite does a better job of the open areas of skin between rivet lines (no stiffeners underneath) as it works a larger area with less pressure. 

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service