Last week while in a descending left turn the passenger bubble door imploded into the cockpit trapping the control stick within fiberglass frame parts and broken plexiglass in a full left and forward deflection. Took me a moment to realize what had happened and with my free hand I dislodged the passenger dual stick from the door and regained positive control. Climbed to 2500' and flew back to airport with one hand holding broken door away from the controls. Landed safely and now preparing to install the bubble door upgrade.

Views: 340

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good job on flying the aircraft to a safe recovery!!  Surprising the pax door imploded (opposite direction of turn) - maybe Zenith will want the remains for assessment/quality control?

Thanks David, I am suspect that the latching rod was not engaging aft strike plate properly, negative pressure on the aft portion of plexiglass sucked outwards on rear of glass and then the front fiberglass overhang lip was able to blow in past everything and that was all it took. Zenith has not reached out to me during the ordering new door process.
I believe you are correct Jim, when mine broke, it was the rear wire attachment, so I upgraded the rest attach point with a nylon block which captures a solid 3/8 rod which is screwed onto the existing wire .

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service