New Zenith nosegear shock absorber system for Corvair engine only

I recently purchased the new Zenith rubber donut system and wanted to share a couple of observations.

1.  For those on the fence about the upgrade there are a couple of considerations.  If you haven't installed your Corvair engine mount yet, definitely upgrade before installing the engine mount while it's still about a 30 minute job.  I have about 15 hours on my Cruzer when the bungee cord failed.  I don't know why it failed I suspect it dry rotted during my 4 year 3 month build.  It's easier to replace a single bungee but I wanted to never have to go it again.

2.  If you are already flying be aware the upgrade will require you to remove and re-install the carburetor, battery and case, rear case alternator, and hoses for the oil separator.  This probably makes it about an eight hour + job.

3  I'm almost finished with the installation and the part quality and instructions were excellent.  Hats off to Zenith for reserving the right to get smarter.

Views: 803

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When you install the donut suspension system the top of the last donut should be 22mm down from the top of the steel tube.  This allows space to install the bearing blocks at the bottom and will save lots of time pre-tensioning the system.

Do you mind telling us the cost of the donut system? 

$399

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service