Hello, all. I have, in various posts, mentioned the Lycoming powered 601XLB that I have flown. The owner/builder, Dave, has decided he needs the hangar space and has put the plane up for sale. He also has decided he is a high wing kind of guy and clearly the 601 does not fit that desire. It needs paint (or a very good polish job) but is otherwise a complete and flying airplane. Here is the Trade A Plane ad that he has just put out. http://www.trade-a-plane.com/detail/2043159.html

He is asking in the high teens for an aircraft that he spent well over fifty thou to build - the only used component in the plane is the engine and it got a field overhaul. All the other stuff is brand new. I have flown the plane quite a bit (Dave is a low time pilot so myself and another friend did much of the test flight time) and it is a good example of the breed. It was Dave's first build and is not a show winner but is a good solid build, done to the plans from a complete kit.

Views: 1301

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Update -- I was almost ready to post a SOLD notice here but the guy backed out at the last minute. For the last couple of weeks Dave has been telling folks who call that the plane has been sold because he took the chap's word that he would buy it. So, anyone who called and was told it was sold should check back with Dave - the plane is (again) available.

The plane is still available, gang. Things are slow up here in NH with winter conditions so I will not post another update until Spring when it is easier to show the plane, but it is available if you need a 601XL. With some coordination it could be viewed and test flown even in the winter, just takes a little doing.

Bob,

I might be interested in this plane.  Could I get more information?

thanks,

Bernard Scott

Hi, Bernard--

Dave Marshall can be reached at (508) 237-1095. He and his 601XL live at Mountain View Airpark in New Hampshire. (I live at nearby Windsock Village Airpark, also in NH).

The plane is as I described in the initial posting -- built and flying, not yet painted or polished so kinda ugly but a solid and flying plane. He spent just under 60 grand building it and is willing to take 20 for it - you do the math. It has a comm radio and an intercom and a panel dock for a Garmin portable GPS. It is wired for a transponder but does not have one. Round dial VFR flight instruments (no gyros) and an electronic Engine Indication System for the engine rather than round dials. At that price it is a take it or leave it deal -- do not bother to try to dicker him down any further, he just wants a no hassle sale or he will dismantle it for parts - the engine, instruments and electronics alone are worth more than the selling price and he plans to build a Cub replica soon. He could use all that stuff on the new project but would rather start fresh if he can sell the Zenith easily.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Thank you for Dave's contact info and I spoke with him just a little while ago.  I enjoyed talking to him and finding out more about his plane.  Sounds like it's a great match for what I'm looking for.  I'd love to speak with you if possible. I can be reached at 704-752-0692, or I'd be happy to call you if I could get your number.

thank you,

Bernard Scott

I just called your number and left you a voicemail message with my phone numbers, Bernard. I will be glad to talk with you whenever it works out.

Bob

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service