Gents,

Can anyone recommend a complete throttle cable assembly for my 750 Cruzer Jab 3300 combination please? Lots of choice on Aircraft Spruce.

Thanks

Views: 429

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Scott,

I don't really have any recommendation for you.  I purchased a previously built 601 that employed a vernier mixture control.  The vernier part might be ok, but the need to press a release button to make a large movement of the throttle wasn't.  I used a friction lock cable from AS, simple and similar to what was used in my previous a/c.  Some of the posters here have touted a new McFarland vernier throttle setup, check John Austin's posts. 

The most significant info I can pass on is to purchase the throttle lever extension detail from Arion Aircraft, 931-680-1781, it increases the stroke length from idle to full throttle allowing a more finite adjustment of the throttle.  Hope this helps. Dave

As I recall, a simple friction throttle was included when I purchased my FWF kit from Jabiru USA (dealer prior to Arion) several years ago and it worked great!

However - and admittedly it's expensive - but if you want the very best, I highly recommend the McFarlane "Vernier Assist" throttle control.  It is a conventional push-pull throttle with adjustable friction, but when you tighten the friction ring, you can make fine adjustments of the throttle by twisting the knob vernier-style.  There is no locking ring or button to have to engage to do this and it is claimed to be absolutely jam-proof.  It is available in a number of lengths and can be terminated with a wire cable (likely what you want for the Bing on the Jab) or various threaded rod ends.  I have a post that mentions it here and a blog here.  Disregard all the info about the reversing bellcrank - you don't need that with the Bing carb.  (I switched to an AeroInjector to gain a mixture control and it requires a reversing bellcrank.)  BTW, you can purchase it directly from McFarlane - they'll configure it exactly how you want it and give you a 5% (I think!) discount for membership to any of the alphabets - EAA, AOPA, etc.  Actually, I think they give the discount to anyone - they don't ask for membership numbers/proof, etc.

The throttle extension lever for the Bing that Dave mentions was included with the FWF kit I received from Jabiru USA.  One note of caution:  The additional length of the arm will certainly increase the throttle stroke which allows for easier/finer throttle adjustment, BUT, it also increases the leverage!  The throttle stop on the Bing is relatively flexible - what happens is you can adjust the idle speed perfectly on the Bing, but in-flight, if you pull the throttle too vigorously, the increased leverage can actually flex the throttle stop further back and kill the engine!  Don't ask me how I know! Ha!

I complained about this to Pete at Jabiru USA and he gave me a set-screw collar to put on the throttle cable to act as a secondary stop.  The collar will contact the cable's outer sheath and stop it from being pulled back too far.  However, I must admit I never installed it when I had the Bing carb since I learned to just lightly pull the throttle back and never had another problem.  It probably should be installed, though, in case someone unaware of the problem was flying and was a little ham-handed on "yanking the throttle!"

John

N750A

Thanks Gents some good ideas. For info I'm in Australia.

Here is the single throttle currently shipped with the Jabiru FWF kit.  It is a budget version for non certified, but a full friction lock good quality throttle cable.  We will see how it is when I finally get it flying.  I may add the throttle stop that John Austin mentioned.  My biggest delay was actually getting the firewall pass thru from Spruce.  Apparently they were on back order.

Fantastic, takes the guess work out appreciated.

Scott:  I have a 4th gen Jabiru 3300 and I was not happy with the pushrod throttle system that came with the FWF package.  Following John Austin's advice, see below, I put in a McFarlane Vernier Assist throttle on the left side and a McFarlane Friction Lock throttle on the right.  Works great, and I have been very happy with it.  Tom

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service