I have an O-235-C1, one of the earlier O-235 versions. The engine is low compression rated at 108 HP at 2600, though the engine is placarded at 2800 RPM.

I have a cross -over exhaust system,  light weight starter,  MA3A carb, bendix mags, dual electric fuel pumps (no engine driven pump), oil filter adapter and an electric primer system. The prop is a 3 blade ground adjustable Warp Drive HP prop.

I have 240 hours on an overhauled engine. I've had a few oil "seeps" to deal with but the engine has been solid so far. 

Normal cruise is about 90 knots at 2550 rpm. Fuel consumption is around 6.5 gph.

Dry weight is 804 lb. and the plane is polished aluminum, no paint. 

I get a level of comfort flying behind a Lycoming engine. NOT bashing other engines,  it's just a personal opinion. 

One downside is the weight.  The nose is heavy which is only relevant during the landing phase.  Full trim is not enough to relieve stick pressure with any flaps extended. However I have gotten used to it and for me it has become a non-issue.

One challenge in using an O-235 is the relatively few flying 601/650's flying with this engine. It can make the learning curve a little harder than some of the more popular engines.

Views: 5392

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jeff in all honesty I have no idea what my o-235 weighs or any of the other engines. Like you I just looked up the printed numbers. 

ok, well thanks for letting me know. I'm in the process of trying to learn how to pick an engine. There is a little bit of info on this site to read, but most of the stuff  is a little old concerning a 750 STOL with floats, (possibly amphibious ones), and a strong enough engine. With any luck  I can instigate a fresh debate on the subject so I can learn a little more, maybe even catch someone bragging of how well there plane flies with an o-320.

I have a CH750 with the O-235 that is just about done with my scratch build. The only reason I have the O-235 on it was CHEAP I have about $2000 into it that I rebuilt. I will fly it that way till I find a O-320  to replace it with.  The O-235 Is about 20 lbs lighter than the O-320 but will change from 118HP to 160HP So a good trade I think.

With regard to transition training in a 601XL with an 0-235 see Kevin with K&S Aviation Services in Mineola, TX. He really helped me get ready for my first flight.

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service