I am considering the use of a helmet for my recreational flying!  I ike the idea of something that will fit over my Bose AN20 headset.  I have seen pics of people doing this but never see a product logo or name.  Anyone with some suggestions or leads?  Visor (whether fixed or removable) would be great as well.

Thanks all - fly on!!

Views: 421

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

David Clarke makes one which fits over headsets.  I also think helmets are a good idea while flying.  I have a David Clarke which I would give you if you buy my plane;)  I think you can add a visor too.  I bought mine used on ebay.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/dchelmet.php?gclid=C...

Don...thanks for the headset offer - the deal keeps getting better!  Just got to figure out how to get it past the "marital filter" without clogging things up ;)

BTW...I'm passing the word around up here about what a great deal I think your aircraft/engine package is!

Truly thank you for that. Crazy times, but we’ll see where it goes. I’ll deliver to Bangor!!

This is quite common in the ultralight industry.  I like my setup from a company called comtronics..  It is a helmet with the headset built in.  They can customize the jack for whatever you need.  I got mine to plug into an icom a5 handheld via a ptt button.  Works great but you need to be careful with the boom mic. It seems to be a tad fragile

I have a 4-point harness but haven't quite felt the need for a helmet - yet.  (Famous last words! ha!)  The Praetor is kind of pricey, but one time I was whining about the cost of a quality motorcycle helmet and my brother, a very experienced rider, stopped me and said, "What's your brain worth?"  I stopped whining.    ;>)

John

N750A

Helmets are a good idea. Used them for years flying Ultralights in Canada. Maybe not for every day airport to airport stuff. But definitely a good idea for off airport stuff. I hit turbulence this winter near a mountain ridge that slammed my head into the cabin cross pipe of a Citabria GCBC while wearing a 4 point harness. My buddy actually cut his head in the same event.

Thanks for all the replies and links.  I've got an email question in to Praetor regarding their helmets.  They are on the pricey side, but still signficantly less than any helmet I wear/have worn during commercial or military flying or could possibly retrofit.  My recent forced landing has prompted me to move forward with acquiring a helmet for use recreationally - especially when flying over remote, hostile landscape.  Though I also have a four point harness system, I did feel a bit "naked" without a helmet while working my way toward the clear (no trees, gravel pits, etc.) forced landing area.  I also find a visor(clear) appealing for eye protection.  Sun glasses can be worn as appropriate for the flight conditons behind the visor. Anyway, that's where things stand for now...will update later.  Cheers!  Dave

Looks like Praetor links are down or no longer valid...

Interesting video on Helmets. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeYb_zUfOoE

Timely article - thanks for posting the link!  The helmet by Sky Cowboy Supply looks like a good possibility.  If Praetor doesn't get their website working pretty soon that may be my fall back plan.

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service