Has anyone flown the 701 with the doors off?

Views: 450

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes I have done so many times, it flew without any issue. It does get a bit wind inside so I wouldn't recommend side slips and off course make sure there are no loose items. Sunglasses help to keep wind out of your eyes.

I hangar my Sky Jeep and my bubble doors come off in the Spring and don’t go back on until Fall.  To me, it’s the best way to fly the 701. 

Thanks for the info! If you don’t mind me asking how are your doors attached? I’ve just removed my doors to replace the lexan. They were riveted on to a 28 inch hinge which I had to drill the rivets out of. I’d love to attach them so that they are removable. Do you have any pictures?

cheers 

Tom

Tom,

My doors are mounted the same as yours, but the hinge rod that connects the two hinge plates is slightly longer than the hinge plates, and I bent the rod end 90 degrees at the trailing end.  To remove, I close and latch the door, wiggle and pull aft on the bent end of the hinge rod until it comes out completely, then open the door and carry it over to its storage rack. This method requires no assistance and takes only a few minutes to remove both doors. 

OK thanks, I guess the rod bends easy enough to not conflict with the flap?
Thanks for the info

As I pull the rod aft it passes between the bottom of the wing and the top of the flaperon.

Roger that

I love to fly doors off in my 801.  I cut two “loops” out of my door hinge, and I use two hinge pins to hold them in.  Each pin has a 90 degree bend to a short “handle” that points to the middle.  Super easy to get on and off, and each pin blocks the other from wiggling free.  I like this set up a lot.

Good idea Daniel.

I made a half-door for Summer flying and taking photos. It’s more comfortable than flying with no door and you’re less likely to lose stuff overboard.

This is the link to a video of it: https://youtu.be/-AmAiK0PPV0

Safe flying.

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service