Something I've noticed...

Before each flight I run the engine on both pumps to make sure they both work. I haven't yet switched over to the back-up pump in flight, but after landing on the taxi in, if I switch to the backup pump, the engine quits. 

The pump works, but there must be air in the line I'm guessing. It's not there before flight, but after something must be holding up the fuel.

When I restart the engine, I can switch between pump 1 and 2 all day long with no issue. It's just that initial switch after landing.

Any ideas?

Views: 1153

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The ability to run both pumps on take off and landing was the single biggest reason I switched the pumps separately, not that that may have to be standard practice but I just like having the capability if so desired.

Agreed on wether it’s an actual problem either way. Just a good thing to be aware of and proceduralize.

John

I have not done the 2019-2 SB and I don't think it is necessary for me as I have a header tank and can only think of a couple of ways how it would "unport" the fuel supply which are avoidable.  I have switched pumps in flight with no observable issues.  I recently had the Circuit Breaker on my main pump trip during climb-out and I immediately switched to the aux pump and the engine restarted without me turning the key.

I finally received my parts to do the SB, but I'm no longer having this issue. Some may remember that I had an issue with a few of the banjo fittings on the final fuel filter and the fuel pumps leaking. I removed the pumps, annealed my copper washers, and rebuilt it and I no longer seem to have the issue with the engine quitting when changing pumps. Not sure if rebuilding had any affect, but either way I haven't had the issue since.

I'll prob still do the service bulletin though since I have the parts even though I don' think the new part that UL Power wants the owners to swap has any affect on the issue of the engine quitting. The problem is losing fuel pressure during the pump switch.

I'd bet you had a little air in leakage on the standby pump, through a crush washer. Where I worked, this was not uncommon after pump rebuilds with new gaskets/washers. Not enough air to affect operation but enough to get a bubble in the non running pump circuit.

Good to hear it worked out.

John.

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service