Does anyone one have pics you can share of your rubber engine baffles that go on top of the aluminum baffle housing? My aluminum is so close to the top of the cowl I'm not sure I even need the rubber! Well, actually I do or there would be a lot of leaks and loss of efficiency but I'm wondering how to install them with only about 1/4" from the top of the aluminum to the underside of the cowl.

Thank you all again. I'm starting to think that I actually might be able to fly this plane sometime soon!

I ran the engine again today-fired right up and ran smoothly!

Views: 419

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Engine run - that's good!  When I go to the hangar tomorrow, I'll take a couple pics of what I did.  Consider not using the stuff that came with the FWF kit. It is stiff until it forms and even then will start to abrade the cowl.  Spend the money and buy the teflon impregnated silicon baffling.  You can find it on-line here...

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/baffelseal3108.php

Here is a pic with the new baffles and baffle seals...

Thanks for the pic-that helps me a lot! I’ll order the ones you recommend so I don’t have to do this twice!

I installed with these soft rivets and backing washers...easy to put in, easy to trim and drill out if necessary.

Will get much better pics tomorrow, since I have the baffles off the engine.  It will give you a good idea on how I did it.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/cowlsealhardware6.php

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/cowlsealhardware4.php

Awesome thanks. I'll get a list of all the parts needed and put in an order. 

Mark, I will put a couple of pics on, but not proud of the job I did.  It was sort of a guessing game

for me.  The pilot side fits good with all the rubber folded in so that the airflow is pushing it against

the cowl, but the passenger side needs redone.  My cylinders are all running cool and similar so

I haven’t worried about it.  The pics were at 100 hours when my muffler cracked and had to weld.

It’s cracked again and I have the new style one to put on at condition inspection.93577909-9676-4B68-8634-AA5FB44A1501.jpeg19CE8553-1C2D-4CC4-9FA5-A07B3C936CA5.jpeg

Looks good to me!

A few more baffle pics for you Mark.  You will likely need some of the "bulb seal"  (orange strip on rear of right bank baffle)  The metal comes too close to the cowl to use the baffle material.

Thanks you for posting. It looks like doing it in sections is the way to go. I did order the parts needed so I’m hoping to get that done when I return home from work. Stupid work!

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service