About to begin building my kit far away from my home base and shop. Compressed air is not an option here and the notion of popping all those rivets by hand is not appealing.

There are a number of electric pop rivet drill/guns available but I noted that Zenith modifies the tips on the manual and pneumatic tools they offer.

I did not find a battery operated tool offered by Zenith and wanted to ask the Zenith Builder's group if anyone has successfully modified the tip that comes with the battery operated gun to work as Zenith intended? If yes, which gun and what steps did you take to accomplish the task?

Thanks

Views: 1616

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mike, the Grapow gun listed above from Amazon is a full cycle gun that pulls, pops and then resets automatically. Dropping the stem. No need to reverse the gun. Seems a good value for $149. 

The Girapow Cordless rivet gun is available at an attractive price point.  It seems like a good deal; but, there are a couple things I took into consideration:

1. The Girapow brand is not familiar to me.  I am not being critical of the tool...I just prefer tools from a company that has an established reputation.
  2. The length from the tip of the nose piece to the back end of the motor housing is significantly longer than that of the Milwaukee tool...or most of the pneumatic rivet pullers.  That is especially true if you remove the stem catcher from the Milwaukee rivet gun.  Note:  This consideration applies to the Astro (and similar) adapters that are used on cordless drills.  There are some places where that extra length will make it more difficult to pull the rivets.

I hope the Girapow tool is a great success and that we get to hear more about it as the Zenith builders put them to the test.

Mike

Thanks Edward. Was there a link to the Astro blind rivet adapter?

Don't discount doing it by hand.  It's not difficult, and in the overall scheme of things it won't cost you much time.  The only reason to NOT pull them by hand IMHO is if you have a medical condition with your hand or forearm.

I pulled every rivet on N63PZ by hand, using the hand riveter supplied in the Zenith toolkit.  The results I obtained when done by hand are superior to the results from the either of the hydraulic & pneumatic rivet guns that I also owned.

- Pat

I'm trying to avoid developing hand, wrist or forearm issues though quality of build is also an important consideration. Thanks for the input Pat. I will have to weigh the possible risk against the reward.

Hi David, You can modify the nose piece of any standard rivet gun to the Zenith system. Order a 5/16 "dia  (first choice) or 3/8"ball cutter with a 1/4"shaft often used in die grinders. If you want a good one that doesn't dull after several airplanes, order carbide. The spiral flutes should make a smooth cut - not too aggressive. Set up the ball cutter in the chuck of a drill press and hold the nose piece for the size rivet you want in the drill press vise.

Use calipers or a scale to measure the diameter of the rivet flange- either 1/8"or 5/32". You want the conical depression to end up the same diameter as the rivet. Make one for each size. Then go try a couple of rivets and adjust if necessary. This also adds the recess to the angled rivet setters for tight spots. I have done this to 4 different riveters and it works the same as the Zenith one. Larry Zepp, Zenith Zodiac N22LZ - getting close.

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service