I’m considering adding the Dynon servos, AP74 and gps antenna with my D100. Anyone have this installed and if so how well does it work?

Views: 455

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That setup works good for me in my 601xl

when flying commercially I never had it so good!

Thanks Christopher. I also have a 601xlb. Did you install it and what update is your 100?

Be sure to update to latest software for your d100 from dynon website

Do u have the AP74 and are u using a gps other than the gps antenna connected to the D100?

Did u install it?

Yes I have the ap74. Using 32 drum servo for pitch and sv42 push pull for roll. You can not just hook up a gps antenna. Must be GPS receiver, I’m using Garmin area 660 for gps. And yes I did install

Joe,

I have the D180 with two axis servos in my 601XL.  In smooth air, it works awesome.  When flying in thermally active days, it spends a lot of time chasing altitude.  You can adjust gains to help smooth it out, but I prefer to hand fly when it's bumpy out.  I don't use mine a whole lot, but I also don't do a lot of long cross-country flying.  It is a nice feature to have and the Dynon set-up for me was the lowest priced option since I already had the D-180 in my cockpit.

Dave Gallagher

Thanks Dave, I have a friend who also has the 180 with AP he says the same thing. I’d really like to know if it’s even worth it with the 100.

Joe,

As I recall, the D180 is just the flight monitoring of the D-100 and the engine monitoring of the D-120 all in one package.  Your D-100, with the right software, should control the autopilot servos no differently than my D-180.

Dave Gallagher

A "trick" you might want to try on those "less than smooth air days" (if your setup allows) is to set the autopilot to hold airspeed rather than altitude.  Adjust power to reasonably hold altitude and desired speed and let the autopilot work at maintaining airspeed while allowing the aircraft to vary up and down a bit in altitude.  Much smoother ride overall in terms of corrections versus holding altitude with my Dynon setup.  It was a technique we used in helicopters with good success.

I have the same setup in my 601XLB and it works well for me.

Are you using the AP74 and  are you using a gps other than the gps antenna connected to the D100?

Did you install yourself?

I use the purple wire off my Garmin 396 to provide GPS data to the Dynon.  There are drawings and photos out there on making your own trays to hold the Dynon servos in place.  The roll servo will be the arm style and the pitch servo will the capstan style.  Both will mount on the floor behind the seats.  Installed myself, was pretty straight forward.

Dave Gallagher

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service