I have 70 hours on my plane now and my rudder is just as stiff as when I first flew it. My bungee broke at 18 hours and the rudder was loose as a goose, wish I could have that free movement again. Walt Synder has flattened his V Block which I'm thinking is a great idea. When I'm flying I have to push through the detention and then the rudder gets easier. Descending I need left rudder to center the ball and hold it or the ball goes to the left. Has anyone had a solution to this pressure? I'm use to it now and glance at the ball constantly to keep it coordinated, otherwise you get the oil canning letting you know you need to do something. I love these planes and sure hope we can improve this one inconvenience to have control harmony. None of this bothers me during landing or takeoff as you are just reacting to which way the nose is pointing and correcting for it, it's just that initial push through the rudder V Block that seems to be bothersome.

Views: 1453

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Out of curiosity, I sat in mine (not flying yet) and pumped the rudder pedals.  They are a hair stiff, but the nose is on the ground and it moves, for what seems to me, pretty easy.  It's sitting on concrete my shop now.  My engine ain't light too boot!!!!  I'm sure once the nose is in the air it will be even easier!  I don't have any lube on the block yet either!!! 

I'm wondering if maybe some builds have the upper nyloid in the top shelf of the firewall cockeyed or too snug?  Might be the gear leg is a hair off angle as well?  I hate the bungee as well and am looking at the Viking steel spring replacement option until I get my amphibs done...

The problem surfaces when there is no weight on the nose wheel (in flight, in other words). That is when the V block thing is sitting in the notch and centering the rudder pedals while the nose strut is fully extended, no weight on the strut -- that is also when it becomes awkward to get the rudder linkage to move out of that V block smoothly, many folks have a "bump" out of the center position of the rudder pedals in flight. Try getting your nose wheel off the ground by pulling or pushing the tail down to the floor and then see what your rudder control feels like while the strut is fully extended.

Sure helped on our airplane 

http://vikingaircraftengines.ning.com/steel-bungee-spring/steel-bun...  

Jan Eggenfellner 

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service