This is to any of you Jabiru 3300 (120 HP) engine flyers out there.

I had a new battery that was only 1 year old dye on me in flight, I replaced it with a new battery and in flight my Volt meter is not showing it over 12V? Is there any quick tests for me to do to make sure that its not my Alternator that's at fault?

Comments Please on any quick Alternator tests for me to make sure?

Cheers

Mark

Views: 2254

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Same happened to my new gen 4. What does new stator cost? What is cause of failure in your opinion?

The maintenance manual says the spec for the alternator lead resistance is 0.4 - 1.1 Ohms.

John

Hey Guy's,

Thanks for everyone's input regarding this issue, but we tracked down what the problem was it was not the Stator, it was the leads running into the voltage regulator from the Stator, one of them had shorted out, this was stopping the Battery from re charging. I have replaced all the connectors in the Voltage Regulator. Everything is running fine now.

Thanks again everyone.

Cheers

Mark

I would be very interested in the On-The-Ground test procedure, and meter readings to watch for, if Arion Aircraft offers any...

Thanks for the thread !

geo.

disconnect the AC stator wires from the regulator, if the connection is burnt repair with crimp joint or solder.

otherwise, measure resistance of the wires to ground, there should be no connection. if there is, you have a winding to frame short.

put AC voltmeter across wires, run engine, voltage should be 25 to 50 Volts. (there are two wiring configurations, so the voltage depends.) low voltage could be shorted turns.

If you can see the coils on the stator, and some are dark colour, suspect shorted turns.

The stator can be rewound.

There is also possibility of magnets loosing strength or rotor / stator scraping to look for. or regulator failure.

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service