I just purchased a 2002 Alarus with the Lycoming 0-235 engine.  It did not come with a spinner and am wondering which spinner I will need for it?  Will one of the 601/650 spinners work?

Views: 1028

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Alarus is a type certificated plane and most of the parts that go onto the 601/650 are either experimental or applicable to light sport.  As a guess, you probably need to contact Zenair, which I think holds the type certificate.  

From the web site:

For Alarus CH2000 spare parts and service, please contact:

Zenair Ltd

P.O. Box 235 Midland ON Canada L4R 4K8

705-526-2871

zenair.com@gmail.com

I sent them an email on Monday, I have not heard back from them.  I understand that the Alarus is a certified aircraft, but I imagine that some that have built the 601/650 have used the Lycoming engine, so I was thinking that it may be possible to get the same spinner they have.

I will send another email to Zenair and hope to get a reply.  I have contacted Zenith and they say they do not support the Alarus, so I will have to deal with Zenair on this matter. 

Thanks for the response.

It's possible the spinners are the same, but not necessarily.  Often the spinner is part of the cooling system as it helps direct air into the cooling ducts.  So, it's somewhat dependent on the cowling.  However, the ones shown it the pictures on the web sight look tiny, so that may be irrelevant.   Presumably the flange the spinner connects to is still there.  I'd take careful measurements of it and note how spinner attaches (probably screws around the periphery) and the number and size of screws etc.  If you can't the find OEM part have this info available when shopping.  

Good luck.  I'm interested to know if Zenair can help you out.

Ron

So Zenair got back to me today, they informed me that the spinner was not nessicary.  They said that I can order one, they did not give me a price, but did send an order form.  The flange is still attached, so I can use that.  I will try and find out how much the spinner is, but for now I can fly it without and will not effect it.

Is this airplane airworthy yet?

Technically no.  It is all put together and ready to fly, but it is out of annual.  My A&P said that once I get my ticket punched I can start to fly it.  I am on my fourth flight instructor, but hopefully will be able to take the practical in two or three weeks, I hope.  I have done some taxiing with it, but as of yet have not gotten it in the air.  Soon, I hope.

Please give us a PIREP when you get it flying.  

I will do that.  Hopefully I will be able to start flying it later this month or next month. 

So I have about fifty hours in the plane so far.  I am having to rebuild the engine as one of the piston pin plugs was wearing on the cylinder wall and caused an excessive amount of aluminum shavings in the oil.

Thus far it has proven to be a good plane.  I had hoped for a little more speed, as it cruises around 90 knots.  It handles very well, the landings took a little getting used to, since I learned in a high wing plane.  The nose is very light, so on take offs I have to be careful not to try and rotate too early, this will cause the tail skid to hit the ground.  My home airport is at 3,600 feet, so climb out is around six hundred feet a minute solo.  I took a cross country to Portland, and while there took some family members up, and was close to a thousand feet a minute climb out at the lower altitude.  I have been up to 10,500 and did not have any difficulties, not sure how much higher I could have gone as it still had some climb left in it.  I do need to get used to the engine, the POH calls to run it at 2,800 above 5,000 feet, which is again different from the 172.  The engine had approximately 2,900 hours on it and still had good compression, so I do not think I will see a huge improvement on some of these numbers.  

The one downside that I have noticed is, as the A&P noted, it has the glide slope of a brick.  I have been getting used to it, but once again it is different then the 172 I learned in.  I had done a few cross countries before the engine overhaul, and it is comfortable, easy to fly once you get used to it. 

I have read about how poor of a plane the Alarus is, but so far I have not found that to be the case.  The A&P commented that it is a fun plane to fly, very forgiving, but a little underpowered.  I hope to have the engine back in the plane in a week or two, a couple of weeks to break it in and then off for more adventures.  

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service