Greetings,

My wife and I have just purchased a 750 STOL kit that was approximately 50% built. We are first time builders and are very excited to be taking over this project. In looking over the work performed by the previous builder I am noticing that ALL the control cable stop sleeves were swaged in 2 places VS 3 places. 

Is this serious enough that I should remove all of the finished control cables and start over? The cable is 1/8”.

I believe standard practice is to swage in three places. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! 

Photos attached.

Thanks!

Jonathan

Views: 619

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Earnie,

I have determined that the cable sleeves are copper with a coating. 

To keep from replacing all my control cables I wonder if the following procedure would be acceptable:

1. Swage the middle section of the fitting - I purchased the proper swage tool
  2. Use a go/no go gauge to check all three swages on the sleeve
  3. If the swages on either end fail to pass through the gauge re-swage the ends
  4. If any of the three fail to pass through the gauge replace the sleeve with new

Please let me know your thoughts. 

Thanks for the help!

Jonathan,
The FAA recommends that the first compression (squeeze) of a sleeve is to be in the center, second is next to the thimble and the third is the one farthest from the thimble.
I am sure that there is a good reason, and probably testing, that this order is prescribed. I would not be comfortable with the method you suggest because it is not what has been recognized to work for many years.
Ask yourself why you are thinking of using something that was done incorrectly or in a manner that is not recommend. Is it the time and/or money that may be required to make sure it is done correctly?
Remember, you, your family and friends will more than likely fly in this plane. The worst case possible outcome is not worth taking a chance that "It will be alright."
I would suggest that even if you have to replace every single component for the all cables (sleeves, thimbles, cables, etc.) that this is a minor cost in time and money compared to flying something that may not be safe.
These cables work the controls of the plane and they have no backup system, they must be in shape so that they can be relied upon all the time.
Hope this helps,
Earnie

Excellent point, thank you!

Thanks Earnie!

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service