When completing the rudder I kept the edge of the nose skin under the trailing skin edge. The plans did not state that it should have been done the other way around. I have seen it done both ways looking at others. Will it produce enough drag to warrant drilling out all rivets and correcting this. Any advice on this. Thanks

Views: 312

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I once was asking Caleb about another joint and whether the skin should overlap to the aft, mentioning more drag if done the other way. Caleb pretty much laughed at me and said that the 750 is such a high drag airframe that it really didn't matter! Of course, where possible, I overlapped with the forward skin over the aft skin - certainly "looks" aerodynamic and as a practical matter might keep a little water out of the joint when flying through light precip.

I really wouldn't worry about it!

John

N750A

Hi David, I found reading the construction standards useful as it has this very type of information and quite alot more very useful info that obviously doesnt appear on the plans, but is at times assumed you would know this info from having consulted the contruction standards section/booklet.

Happy building, its almost like serving an apprenticeship!!

That is basics.  On the bright side, you will learn how to drill out rivets.  It will not be the last time.  --   Peter

I did the same thing and was also told that it didn't matter. But it bothered me so I fixed it. The whole fix job was very easy and took about two hours.

Thanks for the advice, will correct the mistake, have to order a few more rivets from Zenith first. I'm quickly learning it is important to keep rivets on hand.

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service