I have purchased rudder and horizontal stab, which of course are completely different in the new Cruzer.

Prefer the newer design, but don't want to lose $1700 in parts and labor.

Could the new wing and struts be used on the existing 750 design with the existing rudder and horizontal stab? My guess is the high down force of the rear stab would not work well with a wing with less lift.

I would argue that the three main components that will increase speed will be a lower profile rear stab, a wing without slats, and wheelpants. That is arguably the biggest difference between the planes that I can see.

Perhaps better said. With an existing 750, you eliminate slats, and add wheel pants and VG's, and you are going to make up most of the difference to the Cruzer. The slimmer horizontal stab will give some more speed, but no slats and wheelpants will make the biggest advantage. 

You can also add a couple of knots to an existing 750 with gap seals and fairings around strut/fuselage attach points, as well.

But, for all of those speed demons out there, remember, you are not going to be using wheelpants for off airport operations. So, if you are trying to make a 750, into a 650 speed demon, you are defeating the purpose of the 750 in the first place. Yes, they are giving you a faster high wing, which will be nice for some, but, again, take off slats, add wheelpants, and add a couple of cheap aluminum fairings in attach points and gaps, and bam....you have a Cruzer for $2000 less than the Cruzer.......

Views: 4378

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Christopher,

I wound-up somewhere between the Cruzer and the STOL CH750. I bought a STOL CH750 kit (partially completed) because (a) the price was right, (b) I was familiar with aluminum pulled-rivet construction and (c) the STOL CH750 looked relatively rugged (i.e., "real airplane" and not a toy!).

I have a 2100' turf strip but mostly fly to paved airports, so the "super STOL" ability was not that important for me. Russell Calhoun opened my mind to the fact that the STOL 750 performs about 95% as well with Stolspeed VG's installed and the slats removed - you lose the steep approach/departure angles (which I didn't need) but you gain 14 lbs useful and 8 kts cruise.

I did down-size my tires to 15 x 600 x 6 but barely registered a gain of 1-2 kts. Don't think I could go any smaller with my turf airstrip. Same for the wheelpants - even my Cessna 206's pants started cracking after repeated landings on my turf strip and I took them off. Don't think I would even attempt pants on the 750 for the same reason - plus, that tire sure is a handy spot to plant your foot to boost yourself into the seat! Inspection of the tire and brakes is a whole lot easier, too!

I have no idea what the Cruzer's new tail will do for performance - looks like it should reduce drag but I wonder if the rudder will be nearly as effective as the STOL 750's???

I think the Cruzer is a great complement to the line - one for cruising, "intermediate/modified" STOL 750's, and the "super STOL" 750!

John

N750A

One of the great things about the Zenith 701\750 series is the versatility.

I have intentionally left fairings and other aerodynamic cleanup off my plane. This lets me slow the plane very easily and drop the nose down for very steep approaches.

Most airports you do not need that around here, but some around in the PNW have very notorious approaches with dog legs, ect. I can ignore those complexities and approach straight in with a "chop-and-drop".

Is the Cruzer for me? No. Is it for the guy who is pulling the slats off there planes? Yes.

I may take the slats off my 750 come the (glorious) day it is finished, but I was wondering... Do you have to put VGs on if you do that?

Paul - Removing slats will gain you about 14 lbs useful and 6-8 kts increase in cruise speed. I can't tell the difference between landing/take-off rolls with slats vs (-)slats(+)VG's.

You will see a difference in approach/departure angles (steeper with slats) and for practical purposes, you can't stall the wing with slats and power. Without slats, you get a pretty classic departure stall at about 25 kts indicated. Add the VG's and the stall drops to about 20 kts indicated.

There is no cruise speed penalty from the VG's and they only cost about $100. Hard for me to see why one wouldn't want VG's, but in any event, it flies just fine with or without them!

John

N750A

John,

Thanks for the reply. Some good food for thought there.

Paul

I like the new Cruzer. It will take the experimental aircraft catagory of high wing design a tad closer to the grand old design of the Cessna 150 series. I'm anxious to see the glide ratio of the Cruzer; the wing still looks a little thick. However, I believe it will be a good seller.... Because of the type of flying I do; when/if I build another plane; the Cruzer is number 1 on the list, sorry 650. I already have the 701 for whatever STOL flying I would do.

The new Cruzer is a nice looking airplane. Build it Light with a engine like the UL 350,no paint etc,etc, put VG's on the wing and horizontal and no wheel pants and ...you have the best of both worlds. A super 750 cruzer.

Just my opinion.

Christopher,

I have a question on your comment, " add a couple of cheap aluminum fairings in attach points and gaps....".

Do you happen to have a web site or source for those fairings ? I was trying to find a source for those before, without any luck.

Thanks,

Jim

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service