Any 701 scratchbuilders in New Zealand out there that can lend me wing rib formers? I can reciprocate with rudder formers and wing rib lightning hole dies. I am restarting my long running project at Masterton's Hood Aerodrome. I have some interesting company at times in the hanger. A Kittyhawk and a Lancair.

Views: 444

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Kevin,

Templates or formers are easily made from scrap plywood of cheap MDF. If you work fast enough you don't have to worry with MDF getting out of size when damp or wet. Check that the first formed rib fits well with the wing spar (209 mm width) before finishing with the rest.

You do have nice company in the hangar!

Champ

Thanks for the feedback and handy tip Champ. I did make some using ply and a jigsaw however wasn't 100% happy with the not so perpendicular edges. Investigated CNC routing however that is cost inhibitive.

I will try and borrow a hand routing device that should give me perpendicular edges.

Julian Thornton in Hamilton may be worth a phone call. Cheers Colly

Coat the defective part of wood with epoxy steel or plastic resin glue. When dry, hand file the part to the exact shape. The glue is strong enough for the beating of forming wing ribs

Champ

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service