On my 701 I always have alot of nose up trim to neutrilize the stick.In the pictures of the plane in flight the elevator apears to be level on the top.I could put a simple indicator in the cockpit to check this in flight. Is the trim just holding up the unbalanced weight if the elevator? If so I could add a bungee to reduce this and get rid of the drag from the deflected trim. If it is actually trim should I just adjust the angle of the horizontal stabilizer slightly?

Scott Ehni

Views: 973

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Scott

Before adjusting the angle of incidence of the stabilizer(maybe a last resort) consider drilling out the rivets in the trailing edge of the elevator and rebending it to take care of your trim probs. Then rerivet( I used the next size bigger rivet). The trailing edge is a convenient trim tab. I had to do that on mine; as recommended by the Zenith tech guys; if I remember correctly. It's been a while. I think there is a newsletter article from way back on doing that; written by CH.

Very cool plane you got there

Scott,

Where did the CofG come out on the airplane?

Regards,

Shay.

Hey Joe...Here is that article... it should be re-published again!  I asked Jon Croke to do that 3 months ago and nothing has happened at all!  Zenith should nev updated their 701 drawings when they changed to the 912 engine. There are a lot of builders flying around with that problem and they don't know it.

Joe send me your email address!

Ron

Attachments:

That is a thought.The CG is in the center and the horizontal stab is set up acording to the prints.

Thanks to all for the ideas.

Scott

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service