The drawing clearly states the top side of elevator skin is the side with 18mm bent flange with the trailing edge pointing up.  However, this make a very efficient trim tab that will deflect the elevator down, and induce a pitch down moment regardless of CG location or electric trim tab positioning.

Views: 215

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Jim,

I discovered mine pointed down.  I panicked and went looking for answers.  There is a discussion of this somewhere as to whether the flange should be up or down.  I believe the drawing has changed over the years, and the discussion amounts to: Up, maybe Down or to bend it where it works for you. 

I will take a look and see if the discussion is something on the forum or I have it in emails.

Perry

I was involved in that discussion, The drawings have indeed changed over the years as some are up and some are down so it appears that either is correct.

Perry you definitely want it pointed down. You are good to go as is.

Thanks Jim,

I will leave it as it is.

Perry

Check, and my bad, I intended to post this in the drawings, corrections, errors revision Thread. Not sure how it became it’s own thread.

Dan yes it can be done either way but I can’t imagine how anyone with a neutral or slightly forward CG could trim their 701 to fly level with that trailing edge pointed up. My 701, with an aft CG (421mm at 850 lbs) and horizontal stabilizer leading edge lowered in an attempt to compensate, still wanted to pitch down in flight and could not be trimmed to fly hands off in the pitch axis (even more pronounced with the flaps down) until I bent that trailing edge from “built per drawing up” to slightly down. I did a decent job but the trailing edge is now a tad bit wavy and does not look as straight as when I built it on the bench to the drawing. Now however, she can be trimmed to fly hands off flaps up or down. 

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service