My little test flight crash last year wiped out both wing tanks. I'm not there yet, but I'll soon be ready for tank installation. Does anyone have a pair of 601XL tanks they'd like to dispose of? I'd prefer long range, but I will consider either.

Thanks for the recent replies, but I bought a set about a month ago.

Views: 473

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Jim;

Can't help you with the tanks but I'm one month away from starting my flight testing on my 601 XL. I was wondering if you could share the cause of the loss of power that led to the bent metal? I've searched the forum and couldn't find a discussion on it.

Thx,

Gary Welch 

I have avoided a discussion, because of my involvement with the crash report, and the FAA.

However, you should be able to find it from the NTSB under N274AJ, 6 June, 2015, Avoid sites like Kathryn's; the writeup there is incorrect.

Thanks Jim. Hard to imagine what you've been thru. It is impressive that you are rebuilding. I've different a lot of time reading your posts and reviewing your build site. Thanks for all your contributions - they have helped me a lot.
Gary Welch

As our daughter said, "God had His hands on the wings." I could have totalled out the aircraft, and it could have totalled me, but I chose to rebuild it out of sheer stubborness and a desire to recover all that paperwork I'd created to get the thing registered.

I got out with only one minor scrape. If you can imagine a 72 year old man squiirming out of a partially crushed cockpit, and running, you'd get the picture. Normally, I don't run too good, but in this case, I made an exception.

My sole advice, outside the accident report that I helped write, is to do what you've always been taught: fly the airplane. Picking what you hit is a lot better than randomly hitting something.

The first month after the crash was waiting for the NTSB investigation. After the report was written, there was another month while I assessed whether it was worth rebuilding. Now, 11 months into the rebuild, the fuselage is pretty much completely repaired, and I'm starting to build wing ribs.

Your story is kind of inspirational Jim.

Thanks for sharing. 

look down about 6 ads

For some reason that I don't really understand, some versions of Firefox don't pick up all the posts. When I went to a newer version, I began seeing a lot of posts I hadn't seen before. Wierd!

Don't know if they are the same,but I have 10gal 701 tanks that I am willing to part with for half price of the 12.5 gal tanks that I would upgrade too...

Jim, I have a set of 4 tanks that are left over from parting out my 601B.  These tanks are part of the original long range option, 4- 12 gallon tanks.  Call me at 832 257 2717 if you are interested.  They are complete with fuel sensors, locking caps and quick drain plugs.  I also have the plans for installing the tanks.  I was flying with a Jabiru 3300 and these tanks gave me a 6 hour range.  Don Guice

Attachments:

Thanks. I bought a set about a month ago.

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service