I've seen some posts and documentation about 601 HDS leading edge tanks, and would like some more information.

What is their capacity? Are they still available from Zenith? If not, does anyone have drawings or manuals? Cost?

Anything would be helpful, thanks in advance!

Views: 335

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Zenith has prices and documentation. It's not that difficult of a job. I added them to a set of wings a few years back. 10 gallons each tank. Nice setup and happy with the install. I want to say the price was somewhere around $800 to $1,000 maybe zenith can tell you. That was for a complete kit, two tanks fuel line fuel selector replacement ribs Ect.

I converted from a header tank and 2 baggage locker tanks to 2 leading edge wing tanks on my HDS.  It wasn't too difficult.  You have to open the leading edge, remove one of the leading edge ribs and replace it with another rib at different location.

Tanks have a 10 gallon capacity each.  The usable capacity is 9.5 gallons.

I was using a sight gauge on the header tank as my fuel gauge with no gauges on the wing locker tanks.  The wing locker tanks were used to transfer fuel to the header tank.  The motor ran off the header tank.  

Therefore I had to add gauges to new leading edge tanks.  This meant that the instrument panel had to be modified.

I've been flying with the leading edge tanks now for 4 years.  The biggest issue is that I've had to open up the wings 3 times to repair really small leaks in the tanks.  The 2 biggest advantages was getting gas fumes out of the cockpit coming from the header tank and getting back the storage space in the wing lockers.

I did not buy my tanks from Zenith.  I inherited them from another builder that had decided to put the newer style leading edge tanks with the flush mount gas caps.

I've attached the documentation that I have for the install.  

Zenith used to offer a kit to do this.  You would have to check with them if they are still offering it.

Attachments:

It was your video that reminded me of them. I'm still building, working on fuselage now but wings are about 80% done. I was planning same as you, two removeable tanks that feed a header that feeds the engine, but I like the idea of the LE tanks if they're still available. 

Seems like the simple thing to do before the LE skins are even on the wing, gets fuel out of the cockpit and simplifies the fuel system a bit, plus storage in the wings and space behind the panel.

Thanks!

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service