I'm assembling my main landing gear for a 1992 601 HDS TDO. 

The drawings indicate the slides need to be 154 mm apart. I very carefully marked out all the ribs and sides. With them clecoed in place,  I decided to test fit the gear hub/bearing - no joy. The steel tubes that attach to the bungee are too far apart for this spacing. I measured out the hub out and it seems to match the drawing.

If I clamp the gear sides to the hub, then lay it on the rib, they are parallel, but 170mm apart. Hmmm....

So, do I:

a) Keep the sides at 154, and cut down the sides just enough to fit the gear bearing?

b) Put the sides at 170 mm, put a stiffener on the current holes in the rib, with the rivet head facing towards the gear to avoid interfearance, however the drawing says "No rivet zone"

c) make a new rib with the sides spaced 170mm

d) ???

Views: 225

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Unless the tail dragger version is different than the nose dragger version ( I don't think it is ) you are looking at the plans wrong. The 3/4" tube goes on the edge of the angle not inside as you have it. You can see from the photo below that the tube that I am using as a spacer is on the edge of the angles.

Ah, let me clarify. The tubes I’m referring are the ones parallel to the wings, and hold the bottom of the bungees. 

Attachments:

The image with the gear structure shows that if I space out to 170mm, I would need longer tubes, which I think is another sign they need to be at 154mm, just not sure how unless I use smaller L angles ( 1-1/2 x 3/4 x t), or modify the ones I have now to basically that dimension 

The tubes that hold the bungees should be 96 mm center to center and the lower bearing support should be 154 mm long.  From your photo yours look longer?  I have a tri gear but my drawings match for spacing.

What are the dimensions of your gear sides? I’m starting to wonder if the TD version uses beefed up gear sides, but the tube spacing in this part didn’t get updated. 

Here is another photo of my bearing support with bungees attached.

Ah I think I found my problem. Missed this note that looks like you’re supposed to cut down to 3/4”? Does someone have an image of their sides?

Attachments:

I agree.  That is probably your problem.  I don't have a photo of my slides and it has been so long ago I don't recall trimming them.

Here is the best photo I have of my slides.  You can see that the riveted sides are definitely not as wide.  Also if you look really closely at Jeffery's photo you can see that the slides have been trimmed.

Thanks all! This forum has been great. Progress has resumed!

Attachments:

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service