Hey guys,

My kit has some age on it and i am just now getting to the canopy. Does any one have 2 cents worth they would like to share or do's and don't s as I start the process?

Regards,
Rich Simmons

Views: 508

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Rich

Work on the canopy on warm to hot days
Work slowly and carefully
When trimming, make small adjustments you cannot add back to the canopy if you cut to much off
Find a mate to work with you don't try and move it around by yourself.
Most all have fun
Cheers

Hi

May already be in the instructions but Linishing down a standard drill bit tip so it just turns in to a pointy end works wonders for drilling perspex just use your drill like a lathe on the linishing belt.  Very handy if you don't have the perspex drill bits (which I've never tried using interestingly). This is what I've always done with 100% success rate, practice on a scrap piece you will see the tip pretty much melts it's way through.  Can anyone shed some light on how the proper drill bit go just out of interest?

Jake

I second Jacob's point (excuse the pun) you have to ensure that if you are using a standard drill bit that you grind off the biting elements at the front of the bit so that the modified bit burns with attrition though the acrylic. Not knowing this I had two cracks on hot days as a result of it.

Don't also try and move the canopy on your own even if you are just readjusting the position. I talk from experience that scratch removal is a complete ball ache.

Rich,

You might find something usefull here:

http://daniel.dempseyfamily.us/zodiac/canopy/index.html

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service