I'm going to get my hands on some 2" square aluminum tube stock for building the Cruzer kit.  I was thinking that 4 of them each 5 feet in length would be enough.  Has anyone's experience been different?  I already have the Rudder built, so just thinking about the rest of the assemblies.  Any advice from the experienced is appreciated.  Thanks!

David Back

Views: 352

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello David      I`m building a 750,   I used two 12 foot 2/2 steel tubes set on saw horses with 42 inch long 2//2s to go across to do the fuselage and wings, this worked well for me.    Lee 

I have 6 2x2 steel tubes that are about 60 inches long.  Be sure to put duct tape on the side your parts will touch, helps keep the scratches down.

I used steel 2x2 12 ft.  long too. Zenith recommends a 12 ft. table, so I would use 12 ft. lengths.  At least you won't have to pay a cutting charge ;)  Also, I would stick with steel vs. aluminum. More durable, less sag, probably cheaper,  and impossible to bend.

Well, I went to the steel store 60 miles away in southwest texas and they had 6 already cut but order cancelled 2 1/4" 5foot long pieces for 30 bucks.  Had to get the oil off and prime them.  But the important point is I used them not to get the part fabricated off the table but as straight edeges and weights.  Some of the toughest part of the build is to offset the predrilled holes and keep the part straight.  The weight of the steel square tubing helped with that.  Used them t level the bed, and on top to weight down the parts while drilling. 

I will say I did not have the same problems on the previous build of a sonex.  But a lot of stuff was not ready to cleco together.  So the twist issue was not a problem. 

Jon

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service