Online Community of Zenith Builders and Flyers
I wanted to do a good job on the seats for my 601, so I built a form to the same size and shape as the seat bucket. I bought several upholstery books and found a big sewing machine at Harbor Freight.
I started with a very thin sheet of plywood, and cut and glued on the foam and shaped it with an electric knife and used a sanding disc to smooth the foam.
I sewed the fabric, sewing in webs and rod pockets to tie to later.
I mounted the fabric to the foam and laced it through the plywood backing to pull the webs and rods toward the back.
The plywood allowed for the deep depressions in the finished seats.