Online Community of Zenith Builders and Flyers
Kern Valley Airport is having a Backcountry Fly In May 5th-7th. Several Zeniths are already planning to attend and take advantage of the Sierra backcountry flying, the more the merrier. Contact Walt Snyder or Chris Brown if you're planning to attend and need local info.
Welcome to the KERN VALLEY AIRPORT BACKCOUNTRY FLY-IN located in the beautiful southern Sierra Nevada mountains of Southern California. Bring your planes and your families as we will have backcountry strip flying for the pilots, river and camping activities for the non-pilots, and fun for the whole family. Plenty of airplane camping is available at our airport campground with bonfire pits and basic shower/toilets. Breakfast and lunch is available at the airport café, and we’ll arrange for group dinner plans including a BBQ and a run to the famous Kern River Brewing Company.
WHAT TO DO:
• Airplane camping with bonfire pit and basic shower/toilets at large airport grass campground
• BBQ cookout
• Excellent river rafting (with convenient pickup and drop off directly at the fly-in campsite), mountain biking, hiking, 4x4'ing, fly fishing, rock climbing, lake stand up paddleboarding, whitewater and lake kayaking, hot springs in the local area with guides available
• Rafting/kayaking/rock climbing/lake stand up paddleboarding: Contact Sierra South Mountain Sports for the ‘Kern Valley Airport Fly-In special rate’ (800-457-2082)
• Fly fishing: Contact Kern River Fly Fishing Guide Service (760-376-2040)
• Possibly live music
• Airport café open for breakfast and lunch from 7am-3pm. Excellent omelets and burgers!
• STOL performance evaluation
• Introduction seminar to our favorite southern sierra backcountry strips; high country and low country, some landable, some not.
• Special discounts on hotel lodge accommodations in Kernville:
• Kern Lodge
• River View Lodge