I am finishing up a vans RV7 and am planning on building a Zenair 750 for my next aircraft.

Can anyone tell me the changes that were made between edition 1,2 and now 3 of this aircraft? I see some kits for sale that are edition 1.

Thanks

Views: 312

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Richard,

I think you made a good choice for a second aircraft.

There are detailed lists of the changes on the Zenithair.com site. Basically Edition 2 beefed up the structure so that you could increase your gross weight up to 1,440 (from 1,320). This included stronger points on the spar, strut fittings, cabin frame, doublers on the fuselage, etc. Edition 3 was all about getting the extra headroom and the round skylight over the cabin. This also included a change to the cabin frame that omitted the cross brace, and replaced it with two small corner braces.

Also, if you found a "real deal" on an unbuilt/partially built Edition 1, Zenith made an "Edition 2 Upgrade Kit" that lets you bring the Edition 1 up to Edition 2 specs. You might inquire at Zenith if that is still available.

In my case, I found a partially-completed Edition 1 that included the upgrade kit. The original builder, however, had already built the wings Edition 1, but had not closed them. I wasn't too concerned about building a complete Edition 2 since my whole purpose was to have a Light Sport aircraft (1320 lbs max) in case the medical went south! I talked to Caleb at Zenith about it and he said it wasn't worth the effort to deconstruct/reconstruct the wing structure just to make it Edition 2 if I wasn't going to increase the gross wt. to 1440 ... he said the Edition 1 is plenty strong. He also said, though, that since I already had the upgrade kit that I might as well incorporate that in the fuselage, which I did.

Since the wings were still open, I did go back and install the Edition 2 skin stiffeners. Things really worked out well - absolutely no oil-canning of wings in any flight regimen and just a little fuselage drumming with full-deflection rudder as in a maximum slip, which one doesn't normally need to do!

John

N750A

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service