Good Day All,

I am currently setting up my workshop and would like some recommendations as to the ideal workbench height.

I'm not the tallest guy around at 5'10".

Thanks in advance,

Brendon

Views: 573

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would say whatever feels good to you. You want it high enough that your not bent way over.

Brendon - I'm your height and I find a 34" high table feels like the right level. My arms are bent and not pulling on my lower back when they are in front of me. I believe you could go as low as 32" but no lower than that. Your arms are quite heavy and when extended in front of you for long periods of time put considerable pressure on your lower back. Least that was my experience. I'm not a orthopedic surgeon or phyiscal therapist.

Chris

Another tip:

I made my primary work table 4'x10' (and 34" as I recall). I built a secondary work table 4'x4' on a dolly with casters and made sure the overall height was exactly the same as the primary table. Then, when working on oversize pieces like the rear fuselage skins, I'd put the two tables together so I'd have 14'. Later, when the fuselage was on the gear and not so easily maneuverable, I found having the smaller rolling table was very handy - I could push it over near the fuselage and keep parts, tools, etc. close by. Also, the dolly had a solid surface so the 4'x4' shelf was great for storage of frequently used materials.

John

N750A

Thanks for the info,

33" will do the job, I will have adjustable feet so will have +/- 1.5".

The plan has always been to have two 4'x6' benches that can be connected flat and level.

Thanks for the responses, It's good to get some feedback and hopefully save my back!

I'll post some pics when its all built.

Kind Regards,

Brendon Tadgell

CH-701

I'm 5' 8" and was thinking I'd go with 36" or even 37" but maybe I should re-think that.  It's not so much my back as my shoulders and neck that aggravate me.  I don't want to have my head down all day.  We'll see. 

Dan

Brendon, 

Here's a good way that us guys in the States use at times to determine workbench height. Go to your kitchen and do about two sink loads of dishes for your wife, and check out the pain you get in your back from being hunched over doing those dishes. Check out the height of your counter, and after telling yourself and your  wife you'll never of that again, figure out how much you need to add  to that counter height to stand there doing that again. 

For me, it was 37 inches, and I'm 6-2. And unfortunately, I still do the dishes…….sometimes…...

Walt Snyder

N10ZE

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service