The builders guide shows using a 3M Super Strength Adhesive to bond the rubber windshield trim to the windshield.  When I google 3M Super Strength Adhesive, all that showed up is 3M Super Weatherstrip and Gasket Adhesive.  I purchased the 3M Super Weatherstrip and Gasket Adhesive from a local supplier and found that while it does bond to the windshield, it does not bond to the rubber windshield trim.  

I'm now looking at using Seal-All but concerned with reaction it may have with the windshield due to having some acetone. 

What are others using to bond the windshield trim to the Windshield?

Views: 8393

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This morning I attached a scrap piece of rubber windshield trim to a scrap plexiglass per the instructions.  This time tomorrow I'll see how well its bonded.  Will post the results.

I still want to get a good tube of the 3M product to compare.

If you are having a hard time with the sealants bonding to the rubber you might try scuffing the surface with some scotch bright or emery cloth. The 3M black weatherstrip glue worked just fine when I used it.

Thanks Chris.  I scuffed the inside surface of the rubber test piece for the most recent test, and then wiped with acetone on a rag.  I believe this is probably the best preparation we could do.  Will do the same for the windshield trim.  Will post test results using Gorilla Glue tomorrow, another test with the 3M product as soon as we get a good batch.

Gorilla construction adhesive pulled off the rubber trim too easily, and scraps of the plexiglass easily as well.

Try the Gorilla Glue Gel. It's what I used on the canopy trim and the wing root trim. It's not like the construction adhesive and it doesn't run like the liquid stuff.

I'll take a look.  Thank you.

Hey Loren,  consider using a product called E6000 - most craft stores have it I hear, or you can certainly get it online. I taped off the area for the weather strip, scuffed, cleaned off and glued it on using a lot of tape to hold the strip in position. It is good stuff!

Thanks Dave, will check it out.

Loren, I have some of the 3M Super Strength on order. You are welcome to try it when it gets here.

For some reason I thought you lived around North Pole.  Are you currently building at home, we'd like to see your project.  I've been reluctant to buy online because we may just get an old batch, but then again, what we have now was purchased locally and it's old.  

Anchorage. I'll message you.

We tested a new batch of Super Weatherstrip and Gasket Adhesive and while it spreads smoothly, after 18 hours the rubber trim still pulls away with little effort.  We also plan to try Daves suggestion of E6000 or E6800, and Ken's suggestion of 3M VHB Tape.   

RSS

New from Zenith:

Zenith Planes For Sale 

Classified listing for buying or selling your Zenith building or flying related stuff...

Custom Instrument Panels
for your Zenith
:

Custom instrument panels are now available directly from Zenith Aircraft Company exclusively for Zenith builders and owners. Pre-cut panel, Dynon and Garmin avionics, and more.

Zenith Homecoming Tee:

Zenair Floats

Flying On Your Own Wings:
A Complete Guide to Understanding Light Airplane Design, by Chris Heintz

Builder & Pilot Supplies:

Aircraft Insurance:

West Coast USA:

Pro Builder Assistance:

Transition training:

Lavion Aero

K&S Aviation Services

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for all your building and pilot supplies!

How to videos from HomebuiltHELP.com

Developed specifically for Zenith builders (by a builder) these videos on DVD are a great help in building your own kit plane by providing practical hands-on construction information. Visit HomebuiltHelp.com for the latest DVD titles.

© 2024   Created by Zenith.Aero.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service